Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moderate wide + shallow DOF lens recommendations?

Re: Moderate wide + shallow DOF lens recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I can't help you with the lens recommendation but want to say "nice images on your website!"
    John
    Thank you! I'd forgotten about that site, I think it's been about 5 years since I updated it... such it is with social media now

Quote Originally Posted by okcomputer View Post
    Thanks - given this, is the Zeiss 135/3.5 a good candidate? I haven't been able to find many photos from it on line.
    135mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenotar on 4x5:

With 3x4 Fuji instant film:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You might have a look at the Kodak Ektar 152/4.5 lens. A fine optic stopped down, and fast enough to have razor-thin DOF wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The answer is a 105mm on 4x5. It will give exactly what you asked for. Trouble will be finding one that covers as most are 6x9cm lenses.
    The Fujinon 105/8 SW (old style with inside writing ) and Fujinon 105/8 NSW (outside writing, multicoated) will both cover 5x7 with reasonable movements (250mm good image circle). They can be found online in the $400 range. I have the NSW style and it is an excellent lens, 77mm filters. Not too large and heavy, relatively speaking.

I use a Xenotar 135mm f/3.5 and I have used the Zeiss 135mm as well. They are essentially the same lens and go for around the same price. Some are rather expensive but if you look around they can be had for $400-$700 bucks. You can view my work with it at https://www.bryanbirks.com/

All of the portraits on the homepage were shot with a Xenotar 135mm. I have also used the Xenotar 150mm f/2.8 but opted for the 135mm because of the price and it being a bit wider for landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanBirks View Post
    I use a Xenotar 135mm f/3.5 and I have used the Zeiss 135mm as well. They are essentially the same lens and go for around the same price. Some are rather expensive but if you look around they can be had for $400-$700 bucks. You can view my work with it at https://www.bryanbirks.com/

All of the portraits on the homepage were shot with a Xenotar 135mm. I have also used the Xenotar 150mm f/2.8 but opted for the 135mm because of the price and it being a bit wider for landscapes.
    Thanks for that info! (BTW, big fan of your YT videos)

As mentioned by a couple of respondents, for the same perspective you'll need something like 180mm in 4x5". The faster versions at this focal length are usually about f4.5 -- which will give you the same DOF approximately. Fujinon made three 180mm f4.5 lenses, but they were all BARREL lenses with a 56mm rear thread. The good news is that they are pretty inexpensive. There are probably similar lenses from other manufacturers.

If you want to go wider, the max f-stop will be f5.6 or smaller -- combine this smaller f-stop with a perspective that is wider, and the DOF will not be as narrow.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

The 190 optar (tessar lenses) for the graflex SLRs are stunning. You'd need a sinar shutter to use them of course.

img904 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

Some Fuji 180mm tessars are options. If you go to 210mm you have tons of options. Trioplan, Fujinar, Xenar, Nikkor etc..

The lens choice is of high importance, but background choice is also important... Distance to background versus distance to subject, texture/uniformity of background, etc...