Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderate wide + shallow DOF lens recommendations?

Moderate wide + shallow DOF lens recommendations?

One of my favorite "looks" in all of photography are the environmental portraits taken with a Pentax 67 105mm/2.4 wide open... it's a pretty unique look of a normal view but shallow DOF.
    Any thoughts on what lens to look for in 4x5 that's similar or better and goes wider? a Nikkor 90/4.5? A Zeiss 135/3.5? If anyone has any wide open examples with these, I'd love to see them! (I have a Sinar P2, so I'd like to avoid barrel lenses and Aero Ektars).

thanks!

Re: Moderate wide + shallow DOF lens recommendations?

The very basic geometry implies that a 105mm f/2.4 for 55x70mm corresponds to approximately 180mm f/4 for 4x5". But perhaps nobody would say what is better for you (still wider an angle? still faster the aperture?) - except yourself....

The answer is a 105mm on 4x5. It will give exactly what you asked for. Trouble will be finding one that covers as most are 6x9cm lenses.

Well, if you have a Sinar system, why not use barrel lenses with the Sinar copal shutter?
    Some of the old fast lenses are available and cheap in barrel, like aero ektar alternatives.

A plain-jane 150mm f/5.6 would be a good start.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220927_081153.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	231350
    Schneider APO Symmar 150mm f/5.6 at like f11.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by okcomputer View Post
    One of my favorite "looks" in all of photography are the environmental portraits taken with a Pentax 67 105mm/2.4 wide open... it's a pretty unique look of a normal view but shallow DOF.
    Any thoughts on what lens to look for in 4x5 that's similar or better and goes wider? a Nikkor 90/4.5? A Zeiss 135/3.5? If anyone has any wide open examples with these, I'd love to see them! (I have a Sinar P2, so I'd like to avoid barrel lenses and Aero Ektars).

thanks!
    I can't help you with the lens recommendation but want to say "nice images on your website!"
    John

105mm lens on 6x7 would be closer to a "normal" focal lenght lens, not moderate wide. Releative to 4x5, focal lenght from 150mm to about 180mm would be similar. As for the f2.4 aperture with the 105mm lens on 4x5, aprox would be f4 to f5.6 would be close enough. There are many modern and vintage lenses that fit these numbers.

Possible to post a 6x7 image example made with the 105mm f2.4 Pentax 6x7 lens?

Medium wide on 6x7 would be about 60mm to 80mm focal lenght or 120mm to 135mm on 4x5.

If the camera involved is a Sinar (any Sinar) there is zero reason to exclude barrel lenses. Adding a Sinar shutter opens up the entire universe of barrel lenses that could be used to meet your image goals.

Bernice

I think a 180mm Heliar would give you the closest look to the Pentax 105mm with only a third stop difference in DOF. You can get them either in barrel and use the Sinar Copal shutter or in a Compound shutter.
    Jim

The 105mm f2.4 Pentax lens is likely a Planar/Gauss design-formula.

Going up in focal lenght and 4x5 allows a variety of lenses that meet this need. From the modern Plasmat to Tessar and much more..
    A Tessar forumula-design lens is FAR lower cost and available than the IMO overly touted Heilar which has gained "cult" status in the same way as Aero Ektar, Planar, Xenotar and...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by aphcl84 View Post
    I think a 180mm Heliar would give you the closest look to the Pentax 105mm with only a third stop difference in DOF. You can get them either in barrel and use the Sinar Copal shutter or in a Compound shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    105mm lens on 6x7 would be closer to a "normal" focal lenght lens, not moderate wide. Releative to 4x5, focal lenght from 150mm to about 180mm would be similar. As for the f2.4 aperture with the 105mm lens on 4x5, aprox would be f4 to f5.6 would be close enough. There are many modern and vintage lenses that fit these numbers.

Possible to post a 6x7 image example made with the 105mm f2.4 Pentax 6x7 lens?

Medium wide on 6x7 would be about 60mm to 80mm focal lenght or 120mm to 135mm on 4x5.

If the camera involved is a Sinar (any Sinar) there is zero reason to exclude barrel lenses. Adding a Sinar shutter opens up the entire universe of barrel lenses that could be used to meet your image goals.

Bernice
    Thanks - given this, is the Zeiss 135/3.5 a good candidate? I haven't been able to find many photos from it on line.