Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zone VI Type II 8x10 VC Head Problem

Re: Zone VI Type II 8x10 VC Head Problem

Someday I will buy a Heiland source for one of my Beseler 4x5 chassis' The only way to know for sure. I'm not ambitious enough to try and build one. I haven't had good luck with the cheapo, China made medium base LED "bulbs" I had one literally pop, the other day. I thought one of my cats had destroyed something, I came to find plastic pieces in a bathroom sink and wires, from the bulb, hanging from the fixture. Never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Why is everyone so excited about LEDs?? Proper cold lights work great and halogen (or tungsten) lamps are hard to beat. Dichro subtractive heads ruled the earth for 50 years. Kept in good shape t h e old lights are hard to beat. MHOFWIW
    It's less about being excited about them and more about finding a practical solution to get that enlarger up and running. Obviously it would be best to have the original VC head working but that doesn't seem like a possibility. When I spoke to a Besler representative (pre COVID) he said all of their enlargers are now LED.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    It's less about being excited about them and more about finding a practical solution to get that enlarger up and running. Obviously it would be best to have the original VC head working but that doesn't seem like a possibility. When I spoke to a Besler representative (pre COVID) he said all of their enlargers are now LED.

-Joshua
    Beseler makes a LED color head for the 4x5 enlarger. Beseler still offers the condenser light source with a, more or less, ordinary medium base bulb. The previous dichro color head was a 30+ year old design that simply became cost prohibitive to manufacture.

Being packed away all it's life could possibly simple oxidation of contacts. I have an old Type I head and controller that doesn't like sitting idle and can be a bit cranky until it warms up and is switched on and off a couple of times.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by MLaMaster View Post
    Thanks. I have the manual that came with it. The hard and soft dials do not do anything at all. I also checked by looking directly at the tubes while turning them. The blue tube ony comes on when it's set to focus. Otherwise, it's only the green tube and it won't turn off. Even when not exposing. As long as the power switch is turned on, the green light is on full bast.
    Makes me wonder about the controller. Though, it could also be the blue tube. Very hard to find. The reason that Calumet stopped supplying blue tubes, was because that particular blue frequency was discontinued. They could have substituted a slightly different blue, but they didn't. Speaks volumes about their attitude towards their Zone VI customers at the time. They preferred to just walk away.