Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance needed on filter holder / filters

Guidance needed on filter holder / filters

Hello to the forum. I’m a brand newbie who is still in the process of building out my kit. Recently I purchased a used 4x5 (Toyo VX 125) and two used lenses (Nikkor 150 mm f/5.6 and Nikkor 90 mm f/4.5). I am in the market for a used Nikkor 300 mm f/9. Hoping someone can provide some guidance on filters and a filter holder. I can’t seem to figure out which filter holder to invest in that would best work with these lenses/camera and how to determine the mounting adapters/sizes needed. For the filters themselves, I am leaning toward the 100 mm Cokin Black and White Filter Kit which is about $100 from B&H. Any guidance on the best filter holder / adapter determinations / and filters would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

PS…unfortunately the Nikkor 90 mm appears to have a slightly bent filter ring…not sure how big of a problem that will turn out to be.

Re: Guidance needed on filter holder / filters

On camera filter holder using 100x100mm square filters. One size filter will do on all your lenses, stackable, easier to carry, no threading on-off, filters can be easily moved out of the way of the light path until needed..

You'll likely get differing opinions, methods ands such.. Seriously dislike threaded on filters for on a view camera. Threaded filters in this example means a pile of threaded step rings and a set of 82mm filters as the 90mm f4.5 sw Nikkor has the largest filter size of this group with the 300mm Nikkor being the smallest.

Linhof TK23s example, can be combined with a compendium lens shade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK23s & Arca CPS.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	231213

Name:	Arca CP shade-B.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	231214

Sinar example.

Name:	Sinar Filter rod , filter up.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	231215

Name:	Sinar Filter rod, bellows shade & holder.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	231216

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
    Hello to the forum. I’m a brand newbie who is still in the process of building out my kit. Recently I purchased a used 4x5 (Toyo VX 125) and two used lenses (Nikkor 150 mm f/5.6 and Nikkor 90 mm f/4.5). I am in the market for a used Nikkor 300 mm f/9. Hoping someone can provide some guidance on filters and a filter holder. I can’t seem to figure out which filter holder to invest in that would best work with these lenses/camera and how to determine the mounting adapters/sizes needed. For the filters themselves, I am leaning toward the 100 mm Cokin Black and White Filter Kit which is about $100 from B&H. Any guidance on the best filter holder / adapter determinations / and filters would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

PS…unfortunately the Nikkor 90 mm appears to have a slightly bent filter ring…not sure how big of a problem that will turn out to be.

My source for filters and related accessories is Tim at www.filterfind.net
    You might want to check with him, his website has lots of useful info.

Thank you Bernice. The pictures are helpful to get an idea of the different methods. I agree that the threaded filters don’t seem to be a good option as i take it each lens would need its own set. The reason I brought up the damage on the 90 mm thread damage is because I’m not sure how the different filter holder adapters work/attach. I am looking at a Benpro Filter holder which may be an option to use with a 100mm filter kit but I’m not sure which mounting ring(s) to purchase or how the different rings work or attach. Thank you for your input.

Thanks Dugan. I’ll definitely check out this site.

Idea is to get the filter off the lens using some filter holder add on to the front standard of the camera. Toyo made a combo filter holder/compendium shade for the VX125. Given this VX125 add-on, there should be attatchment points on the front standard of the VX125 that could be used to make up some variety of filter holder other than the Toyo combo filter holder/compendium shade.

Accessory# 180-626 (8060) ProCompendium Hood including 3", 4" and 5" gel filter holders
    http://www.toyoview.com/Products/Acc...s/VX125ac.html

More images of the Adapted ("home" brew) Linhof filter holder. The filter rod holder block fits on the cold shoe on the front standard of the TK23s. Two holes, one fits a series 9 Kodak to 4x4 (100x100mm) filter(s) or series 9 or 82/77/72mm threaded on the series 9 filter holder ring.

Name:	Linhof TK23s, Kodak series 9, 4x4 filter .jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	231220

The block also fits the Sinar filter holder which supports up to 105mm filters.

Name:	Linhof TK23s, Sinar FH.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	231221

Both filter holders swing out of the way as needed and swings into the optical path as needed.

Name:	Linhof TK23s, sinar filter holder.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	231222

This filter support method negates the need for threaded filter adapters and if the lens has a bent front, makes zilch differnce and for vintage lenses with non-standard threads or no front lens cell threads this method of filter support works..

Bernice

Thank you Bernice. The pictures are helpful to get an idea of the different methods. I agree that the threaded filters don’t seem to be a good option as i take it each lens would need its own set. The reason I brought up the damage on the 90 mm thread damage is because I’m not sure how the different filter holder adapters work/attach. I am looking at a Benpro Filter holder which may be an option to use with a 100mm filter kit but I’m not sure which mounting ring(s) to purchase or how the different rings work or attach. Thank you for your input.

Lee

Any camera repair shop can easily and inexpensively straighten the bent filter ring.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The best deal, IMO, is the Cokin ZPro filter holder: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Requires.html

Get the 95mm Adapter ring https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...c318f797c6154a and step-up/down rings for each of your lenses and a small case to carry the whole set-up in your pack. The small Lee case in the photo holds the holder with all rings attached to 95mm Adapter ring so when I use a filter all I have to do is un-thread the smaller rings and thread the correct ring into the lens. The ZPro holder is adjustable for both the thin resin filters and the thicker glass filters, just loosen or tighten the 4 screws on the face to adjust for the width - you don't need a screwdriver. Here's a shot of my filter set-up: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2834.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	231223

The big ring on the right is a custom made 120mm to 95mm step-down ring so I can use the ZPro with a lens that is threaded for 120mm filters.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Any camera repair shop can easily and inexpensively straighten the bent filter ring.
    That’s great news. Thanks Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The best deal, IMO, is the Cokin ZPro filter holder: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Requires.html

Get the 95mm Adapter ring https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...c318f797c6154a and step-up/down rings for each of your lenses and a small case to carry the whole set-up in your pack. The small Lee case in the photo holds the holder with all rings attached to 95mm Adapter ring so when I use a filter all I have to do is un-thread the smaller rings and thread the correct ring into the lens. The ZPro holder is adjustable for both the thin resin filters and the thicker glass filters, just loosen or tighten the 4 screws on the face to adjust for the width - you don't need a screwdriver. Here's a shot of my filter set-up: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2834.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	231223

The big ring on the right is a custom made 120mm to 95mm step-down ring so I can use the ZPro with a lens that is threaded for 120mm filters.

Thomas
    Thanks Thomas. That is the holder referenced with the Cokin filter kit. Great to know it has worked for you. Because it is so reasonably priced, I’ll likely start there.