Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The beginnings of yet another darkroom

The beginnings of yet another darkroom

I have moved again…

Was able to pick up a simple temperature control valve from a fellow large format photographer, and just finished installing it. Attaching everything to a cement wall was difficult, but now is very secure.

I ponder the size of the enclosed dark space to be built next. My inclination is for a tiny room between the windows, but blocking off one or both windows would make for lots more space. Having room for the work table outside the darkroom I think is preferable.

Another thought is to use the south facing window to use the sun to expose alternate process contact prints. This would also be a factor in favor of the tiny sized room. I could just step out of the darkroom open the window make the exposure and return to the darkroom in very few steps. Could be elegant!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5161BCDC-25ED-4A4C-B99E-44BA26BA30C9.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	231177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D71D5BB-BDD2-4C0C-8CDA-568D77F19FB0.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	231178
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Re: The beginnings of yet another darkroom

Why not a removable cover/light baffle over the window?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Looks like a good sized space. Looks like you could have some nice ventilation too.

Just how large is the entire room (specific dimensions)? Any possibility that at some point in the future you will want to make large prints (and will want to put in/build in place a much larger sink)?

John, certainly nothing as large as you do! The room space is 8x10 feet which is larger than my last kitchen. It would be easier to build a larger room and just block off the windows and making them vents. For now, I am able to get my film developed in tanks. With the tiny size darkroom I have equipment to make 11x14 clumsily. Three trays fit in the sink. I have a color drum for 11x14 that I could use for black and white, and in a pinch I could add one for 16x20, but my enlarger doesn’t go that high.

I have always enjoyed exposing alternate processes in the sun, but having to schlep the print frame indoors to process is less than convenient. The idea of a window for making exposures has been in my mind for many years. The window on the wall with the sink faces east and the sun is not blocked by trees in the backyard. It may be ideal for making prints in the morning while my brain is sharpest.

For now I have a place to develop film in tanks, and I will experiment with the window exposure idea before I proceed.

I would certainly vote for a larger space than cramming between the windows. I have a 5' sink, which squeezes in three 11x14 trays and a wash tray (restaurant busing bin with drainage holes drilled in one vertical end so that it can hold about two gallons before starting to drain), the latter raised on a makeshift platform of plexiglass supported by sections of 2" PVC pipe, in order to gain an extra couple of inches of operative length. In your situation, you could add a waterproofed counter at the end of the sink, perhaps at the level of the sink top, for a holding tray, with a drain tube that could be opened to periodically drain into the sink to allow refreshing the holding water.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

You could also build a corner sink - incorporating a 45 degree corner transition for more space and extend 24 to 36 inch wide sections out on each side by around 4 feet. Could be an efficient way to use the available space and also allow for more working room for large prints or whatever.

You could do something like this to keep the windows openable. Good luck on your new build!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220924_193050618.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	231219
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

No coverage for the windows, no walls or doors, really no dark yet. I did finish a little enlarging table on wheels, so I have decided the darkroom will handle enlargements from 110 to 6x7. 4x5 and 5x7 contact prints as well. I do think I can manage sun exposures for alternative processes through the window. I faces east and mornings provide some direct sun.

As for the dark? It is yet to come. I have a weird solution so stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks great! Dark is easy at night. Beautiful water setup. A couple GFCI outlets maybe a folding table. I am reorganizing my darkroom, love it! Keeps me young and I love the work.