Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Technika... over the hill...

Master Technika... over the hill...

50 years of service from the Master Technika by C Canon, on Flickr

The Linhof Master Technika turns 50 years old this month!

This is my camera from the first batch in 1972.

You can still buy them new today from the Linhof factory in Munich Germany.

Anyone know of another single camera model that has had such a lifespan?

Re: Master Technika... over the hill...

Beautiful camera.

1. Yours is the limited-run version with the levitation feature - no tripod needed!
    2. Wista 45SP goes back almost that far: 1976.

Yes, beautiful camera. I'd say that Copal shutter is rather later than 1972. What's the source of this illustration (perhaps I should check Linhof's website)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    1. Yours is the limited-run version with the levitation feature - no tripod needed!
    2. Wista 45SP goes back almost that far: 1976.
    Yes it is the hover model... don't even ask how many times I had to toss the camera to get the right shot...

Ah the Wista is about the same age - I did not realize that - another timeless classic camera for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Yes, beautiful camera. I'd say that Copal shutter is rather later than 1972. What's the source of this illustration (perhaps I should check Linhof's website)
    David
    Thanks, yes the camera is 1972 but the lensboard dates to the IV 56-63' and the lens is not the proper Linhof CZ Biogon but a USAF CZ Biogon. Originally the USAF Biogon was shutterless and housed in a camera with a shutter. At some point it was removed from the Air Force camera and put into the copal shutter, when I got it it already had the shutter. Maybe the Linhof Biogon somehow fit better but I don't like using it on the Technika and prefer it on the Kardan 45. Anyway I wanted to shoot the camera for this project with the Biogon attached as that was the lens Linhof used in its original marketing for the Master Technika.

The graphic at the top was modified from the 1937 Burleigh Brooks catalog celebrating Linhof's 50th anniversary...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1937 Linhof Munchen 50 years 1837-1937 Standard & Technika I-1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	231169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1972 s-69.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	231170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1976 Nikolaus-Karpf-Hrsg+Technika-Handbuch 100.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	231171

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Thanks, yes the camera is 1972 but the lensboard dates to the IV 56-63' and the lens is not the proper Linhof CZ Biogon but a USAF CZ Biogon. Originally the USAF Biogon was shutterless and housed in a camera with a shutter. At some point it was removed from the Air Force camera and put into the copal shutter, when I got it it already had the shutter. Maybe the Linhof Biogon somehow fit better but I don't like using it on the Technika and prefer it on the Kardan 45. Anyway I wanted to shoot the camera for this project with the Biogon attached as that was the lens Linhof used in its original marketing for the Master Technika.

The graphic at the top was modified from the 1937 Burleigh Brooks catalog celebrating Linhof's 50th anniversary...

Name:	1937 Linhof Munchen 50 years 1837-1937 Standard & Technika I-1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	231169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1972 s-69.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	231170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1976 Nikolaus-Karpf-Hrsg+Technika-Handbuch 100.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	231171
    So you put together that illustration yourself, very nicely done! And now I understand why the lensboard has an "earlier" color than the rest of the camera. Plus I thought that was an interesting looking lens, couldn't quite make out what it was. Camera West currently has one of these No. 1 Copal shutter mounted 75 mm Biogons for sale.

You may know Arne Cröll's piece on Carl Zeiss Oberkochen: https://www.arnecroell.com/zeissoberkochen.pdf
    He notes how with the original made-for-Linhof 75 mm Biogon the rear cell screwed in to a piece that was attached to the lens board rather than in to the rear thread of the No. 0 Compur, the thinking being that the weight of the rear cell might be a bit too much for the shutter to bear. Of course this made switching from the original Technika board to one of another pattern rather difficult.

Wonder if SK Grimes did the re-mount of yours and the one that Camera West has to the No. 1 Copal.

Just looked up the Biogon Camera West has, serial number 7 056 471, in Harmut Thiele's Fabrikationsbuch Photooptik III Carl Zeiss Oberkochen. It shows this is one of a batch of 12 made in 1987 for Fairchild.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 23-Sep-2022 at 13:46. Reason: Corrections, more info

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    So you put together that illustration yourself, very nicely done! And now I understand why the lensboard has an "earlier" color than the rest of the camera. Plus I thought that was an interesting looking lens, couldn't quite make out what it was. Camera West currently has one of these No. 1 Copal shutter mounted 75 mm Biogons for sale.

You may know Arne Cröll's piece on Carl Zeiss Oberkochen: https://www.arnecroell.com/zeissoberkochen.pdf
    He notes how with the original made-for-Linhof 75 mm Biogon the rear cell screwed in to a piece that was attached to the lens board rather than in to the rear thread of the No. 0 Compur, the thinking being that the weight of the rear cell might be a bit too much for the shutter to bear. Of course this made switching from the original Technika board to one of another pattern rather difficult.

Wonder if SK Grimes did the re-mount of yours and the one that Camera West has to the No. 1 Copal.

Just looked up the Biogon Camera West has, serial number 7 056 471, in Harmut Thiele's Fabrikationsbuch Photooptik III Carl Zeiss Oberkochen. It shows this is one of a batch of 12 made in 1987 for Fairchild.

David
    Thanks David,
    My kardan lensboard mount for the Biogon is substantial, I prefer the Technika for 135mm and up, the large wides just feel a bit forced even on the MT.

Arne Cröll's work is always amazing! Thanks!

I can't seem to get Camera Wests website to come up today, but I always stop by the shop in Walnut Creek, CA. whenever I get the chance, it is very local to me. The USAF Biogon is probably in the SoCal shop as I haven't seen it and the SF shop is 95% Leica...

My 75mm Biogon SN is 2586750 with no spaces, please see if the book says anything about it.

I work with a former U2 recon pilot and he was very familiar with the lens and gave me a very good explanation of how the cameras worked to create giant horizon to horizon panoramic images...

Name:	LP5A6876 copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	231349

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Thanks David,
    My kardan lensboard mount for the Biogon is substantial, I prefer the Technika for 135mm and up, the large wides just feel a bit forced even on the MT.

Arne Cröll's work is always amazing! Thanks!

I can't seem to get Camera Wests website to come up today, but I always stop by the shop in Walnut Creek, CA. whenever I get the chance, it is very local to me. The USAF Biogon is probably in the SoCal shop as I haven't seen it and the SF shop is 95% Leica...

My 75mm Biogon SN is 2586750 with no spaces, please see if the book says anything about it.

I work with a former U2 recon pilot and he was very familiar with the lens and gave me a very good explanation of how the cameras worked to create giant horizon to horizon panoramic images...

Name:	LP5A6876 copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	231349
    I just checked, the 75 mm Biogon in a No. 1 Copal that Camera West has for sale is at their Ranch Mirage location. As it happens I bought my Master Technika 3000 at Camera West's Walnut Creek location in 2010.

Hartmut Thiele's book has some gaps and your s/n 2586750 isn't listed. He shows two batches that bracket yours, one batch of 100, serial numbers 2583933-2584132 and one batch of 5, 2590123-2590127. No year given for production of these.

Arne mentions that some US optical companies, including Goerz, also made the Biogon under license for use with aerial cameras. I have a C.P. Goerz American Optical Company sheet dated 8/63 describing their 3" f/4.5 Aerogor as a "military version of the Zeiss Biogon..." and "...only available for military projects..." Further: "In its military application the AEROGOR is used for reconnaissance work for 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" film." They were supplied in a barrel mount. Arne indicates some of the Goerz production were labeled "Biogon" and some were marked "Hycon" which was the camera maker and not the lens name. This Goerz sheet also shows a 1 1/2" (38 mm) Biogon was available. I've wondered if the very expensive for its day 6" Goerz Magnar/Imperial Magnar/Magnar II enlarging lens was developed to print these 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 negatives. Many years ago I had correspondence with someone who had bought one of these as part of a sort of printing apparatus at a surplus store for not much money.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 27-Sep-2022 at 11:25. Reason: Clean-up

Wow great stuff! Thanks for checking David!