Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up an Automega E5 -- confused...

Re: Picked up an Automega E5 -- confused...

Thanks so much. I am getting closer. I got some advice from KBH to raise the rod that holds the lamp.

I was certain that would make the difference, and, at first, it appeared to make a difference. In fact, I am sure it made a difference, but it did not solve the problem.

Next up is changing the bulb. I have a new one on the way. As some of the others on here have said, the bulb appears to be making a hot spot. Not sure if it is too small in size or too strong in power. But I've order a 212 referenced above. We'll see.

If the joy is in the journey, then I suppose I must be having a great time.

I doubt the bulb is the issue. Once again I am basing my opinion on my experience with a D5. I have used the stock bulb as well as a smaller, hotter and brighter halogen bulb. The only difference I noticed was the halogen bulb was more sensitive to the centering in the lamp housing. Being slightly off would cause fall-off one one edge of the prints. I will reiterate that for the variable condenser module, Omega states to remove the top condenser entirely when using a 150mm lens, just leaving the 2 bottom ones that are facing each other at either end of the cylinder assembly that sits on top of the negative carrier.

Yes. Thank you. It is not a D5. There are only the two lenses facing each other. That said, I will futz with them in different combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by mapjon View Post
    Yes. Thank you. It is not a D5. There are only the two lenses facing each other. That said, I will futz with them in different combinations.
    I thought you mentioned a third lens.

Partial blocking of the light path by the sides/corners/ends of the cone will give the appearance of a hot spot when it is really a "cool" edge. Remove just the lens from the lens board and put a mirror on the baseboard and looking up through the cone verify that no part of the light path to the lens is blocked by anything on the way down. I had to open up the ends of the cone support that slides into the head for the longer lenses. You should be able to see all 4 corners of an empty 5x7 neg carrier.
    Last edited by Chauncey Walden; 23-Sep-2022 at 11:34.

My irritation continues to grow.

You can see when I move the lamp up from the table, the blocking of light occurs. When I let the lamp go back down -- shrink the enlargement, it is fine.https://youtube.com/shorts/-5fndf9CypQ?feature=share
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fWbOT641MXI?feature=share