Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Mexico?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: New Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'm getting hungry just thinking about Tomasita's in Santa Fe!
    My first taco was there - dozen for a dollar back then.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I have a sensitive stomach, but the best MexTex food I ever had was actually in a tiny breakfast restaurant fully inside a trailer house on the Navajo Res with Shiprock in the background. You can always tell by the number of pickup trucks parked outside. I was the only non-Indian in there. A long time ago, so don't go looking for it. Just look for where the pickups are now.
    I wonder if this was the place with all the trucks? I was there passing through in April 2018. But we didn't stop other than to get a photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01903.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	231284

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I have a sensitive stomach, but the best MexTex food I ever had was actually in a tiny breakfast restaurant fully inside a trailer house on the Navajo Res with Shiprock in the background. You can always tell by the number of pickup trucks parked outside. I was the only non-Indian in there. A long time ago, so don't go looking for it. Just look for where the pickups are now.
    What an insult. You can get "Tex-Mex" in NM, but why would you. New Mexico style Mexican food is different than any other and far better. There are similarities but no equal. I remember getting tamales from the road side vendors at the Jemez Pueblo, took two beers to get a tamale down, incredible flavor but hot enough to blister the paint off your truck. There used to be a "Tastee Freeze" in Cuba that had chili burgers, great cheese burger with a NM green chili on it that would make you sweat and cry, but you couldn't put it down 'cause it tasted so good.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Drew Wiley

My truck paint was peeling at the time. Does that upgrade your opinion of the food, even though I was across the border in Arizona?

If you are going to be in SW Colorado for Mesa Verde I would recommend you stop at Hovenweep first, especially if you like isolated and dramatic. Chaco is an incredible place and you can hike up onto the rim to some isolated ruins. If you continue on east to Bandolier be sure to drive on down through the Valle Grande (a volcanic caldera) and stop in Jemez Springs to see the mission ruin there. Since you're from SD, you'll appreciate that your most likely danger can be the weather. Keep an eye on it. Hovenweep, Mesa Verde, Chaco, Bandolier, Jemez Springs to Albuquerque may take all the time you have available. If you head north from there through Taos you can come into Colorado and hit the Great Sand Dunes. As has been said, on any reservation you are there as a guest. They have their own rules. Have fun.