Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banff and Jasper in mid Sept. 2022

Banff and Jasper in mid Sept. 2022

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I plan to take a trip to Banff and Jasper in four weeks. Will fly to Calgary and spend the night there and then drive to Canmore. Stay there for a few days as a base with our last night in Jasper before the end of our trip. This is our first trip to Banff.

A few questions:

1. I plan to bring my 810X Alpinist camera with a Cooke convertible lens and a wide angle lens. I am debating between 180mm and 210mm lenses as my wide lens choice as I have read wider lenses are of little use. I plan to bring five film holders. Any suggestions? I don't plan to hike more than two miles from the parking lot as that's my wife's daily hiking limit.

2. I have heard that the parking lots are very crowded now. Do you think they will be better in four weeks? How early do you usually leave your hotel for morning shoots? I have been reading past postings on the forum about Banff.

3. Bear spray. Do I need that if I don't hike too much?

4. Film choice. I will probably bring 50 sheets of FP4.

I welcome all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks.

Re: Banff and Jasper in mid Sept. 2022

1. I like super wide angle lens (120mm), 180mm would be my choice. You may bring both lens since you do not plan to hike more than two miles.

2. It would be less crowded in the middle of September. For most popular places, you should be able to find a parking spot before 8am. I got up early and went to photograph before sunrise, also late afternoon, before and after sunset.

3. I did not bring bear spray, because most iconic and photographic places are less than 2 mile distance, some even next to parking lots.

4. I used Kodak Tmax 100 and 400 (4x5). Bracket your shoots.

Below are 2 previous discussion links.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Banff+Diversey

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Banff+Diversey

Banff and Jasper should be somewhat quieter after Labour Day (September 5th). I've forwarded your post to my brother, who lives in Alberta, and I'll post again if that results in additional points. He lived in Canmore for several years, moving to Calgary only about six months ago.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Some places -- both public and private -- basically close down after Labor Day, so keep that in mind and be prepared. No need for bear spray, but keep you eyes OPEN.

Note that Banff and Jasper actually close trails to small parties due to bear activity pretty commonly. So I agree no need for bear spray, but check at the Visitor Center's when you get there and don't assume the trails will be open to you.

You might have a look at Todd Korol's YouTube channel and maybe contact him directly. Korol is a commercial photographer and videographer based in Calgary who continues to shoot large format. He comes across as highly knowledgeable and a very nice guy. My impression is that he'd be delighted to speak with you. Other Korol links:

Business: https://www.toddkorol.com/index
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/toddkorol/

There's a Toronto photographer named Peter McKinnon who has made videos about shooting at Banff. McKinnon's YouTube channel has 5.8 million subscribers, which probably dwarfs every other photographer on YouTube. Do a search on his channel for Banff.
    Last edited by r.e.; 20-Aug-2022 at 18:36.

The tourist crowd in Banff National Park thins out in September but it can still be busy on the weekends as hikers head out to the mountains to see the larch trees turn from green to a golden yellow. If you are using Canmore as a base you will have a lot of beautiful country to cover. The Kananaskis Country is right above the Canmore town site. Banff is 20 minutes to the west and then Lake Louise is half an hour west of Banff. You should take a day and go west of Lake Louise to Yoho National Park (30 minutes west) to Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls (second highest waterfall in Canada) If you can find a copy of How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies by Darwin Wiggett it will provide you with all the spots you will want to see or photograph and the best time of day for the best photographs. The book was printed in 2005 but not much has changed. If you are doing any hike bear spray is a must.

Just received this iMessage from my brother in Calgary, until recently Canmore. He isn't into large format photography and I told him to ignore the technical stuff in your post. I'm including his second point anyway:

"Still busy in September and the Bears are foraging for food getting ready for winter hibernation. Even if you hike just a little bit take bear spray and a bear horn preferably.

"Also there is a good bus service from Canmore to Banff running every hour and there is tons of public transportation in Banff - if your friends want to take their car to Banff they should Google parking in Banff in September."

Hugo, if there is specific info you want about Canmore/Banff/Jasper post here or send me a message and I'll follow up. Until his recent move to Calgary, my brother lived in Canmore for over a decade. He knows the area.

You might also think about photographing around Canmore itself. As Gord Robinson says in the post just above, it's a beautiful area.

Of course, one solution to the parking problem is to stay at Fairmont's Banff Springs Hotel, Chateau Lake Louise (in the video two posts down) or Jasper Park Lodge. Works great if money is no object: Fairmont Hotels

Last edited by r.e.; 21-Aug-2022 at 06:57. Reason: Added video reference

I have shot there and the WA is not very useful, I found the normal to mid telephoto was used predominately. I would take 100 sheets of FP4 and some 400 ASA too. Use red, orange and yellow filters for spectacular skies. Have a friend with you so you can do the camera and the friend can watch for wildlife ( bears and elk). Get up high using any lift or gondola for panoramic views.