Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My DIY 8x10 Frankencamera

Re: My DIY 8x10 Frankencamera

Congratulations on the fine camera build and machine tool restorations! Have you considered making your own film as a way to tame costs and increase artistic control? It is on my list of "must do's" for the future. If you can do the work you show above, you can learn to handle the chemicals safely. I'll look forward to seeing what you do in the future. P.S. I'm a Dobsonian mount Newtonian guy when it comes to scopes, but the refractor guys I've known (and SCT's) all like those kind of mounting plates. I think you are smart to adapt it to LF camera use.

This is so inspiring! Great use of those heim joints for extra support. Also a very nice job rehabbing the lathe and milling machine.

In my dreams I'd have a combination machine/wood shop with all the fixins. Was actually "gifted" an older Bridgeport milling machine years ago - as Dartmouth College's machine shop had to make space for a new one which an alum had donated. But I had to turn this down due to logistical issues. Also had to turn down a Hardinge lathe - which was not free but 150.00 with lots of attachments. Ugh!

I'm wondering why you didn't use the Toyo rail system for expanding the camera and bellows? Versus your customized wood system.

There are characteristics of Toyo G cameras that make it an excellent framework for customizing a larger, wood back. I once had a Toyo G 8x10 camera. It came with a Wisner 8x20 wood back (and film holders) that could easily be swapped with the 8x10 format frame to make the larger (actually massively larger) format.

My ownership of that kit lasted for one photograph, and I was done (in)! As I recall, I made a financial profit after it sold. But, I don't think that it really compensated for the emotional strain that I experienced with that one, brief, ULF encounter.