Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with filter choice for black and white film, please

Drew Wiley

Re: Help with filter choice for black and white film, please

Bernice - "Promaster" filters are simply Hoya filters private-labeled for a large Photo supplies wholesaler (Promasteer). Another major mfg for quality private label filters at one time was Marumi.

Drew Wiley

Supplemental - the only really deep blue-green (cyanish) filters once out there were Wratten 45 and 45A, both intended for microscopy applications. They also both have poor permanence characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Bernice - "Promaster" filters are simply Hoya filters private-labeled for a large Photo supplies wholesaler (Promasteer). Another major mfg for quality private label filters at one time was Marumi.
    Thanks for mentioning this. I have a couple of Promaster lenses that are actually Sigma lenses, and this makes me wonder -- are any of the Promaster (Hoya) filters marked "HMC"?

Drew Wiley

Our local camera store carries them, but only the UV and skylight type applicable to digital as well as color film usage. The multicoated variety are rebranded HMC, but if I recall correctly, rebranded just "MC", while the 16-layer super multicoated type are conspicuous by their very high price point. Being second-party redistributed, there's inevitably a middleman markup, so resultant retail price is at least 30% higher for Promaster than Hoya label per se. But by buying a lot of things from a single wholesaler like Promaster, these smaller shops can somewhat compete with the big houses without buying huge quantities of film, paper, accessories, or even the latest cameras, at a time.

The downside is that dependent small shops inevitably drop product lines or selective items which that key wholesale supplier does not itself handle. That means less inventory tailored for darkroom people like me, and a greater emphasis on current trends like inkjet. And that creates a downward spiral where a once large spender like me simply doesn't shop locally anywhere near as much as I used to. But I try to help them out with casual purchases whenever possible. They still sell lots of film and used film cameras, even sheet film and trade-in LF gear, and even have rental darkrooms as well as classes for beginners.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful replies. And Bernice, thanks for the Sinar pdf!

Drew: Yes, it's all about how the red markings will "read" against the tree trunk, thank you. From your post are you suggesting the Hoya X1 medium green will be sufficient, rather than the stronger 58?

My best,
    David

PS I'll try to post a sample negative with whichever filter I try out, if anyone would be interested.

Foamer

Most used filters go pretty cheap on ebay. I just got another one today for my Zeiss Super Ikonta.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

A 58 green would darken any solid red to near black. I rarely carry one of those in the field, but they're hard to find in round glass anyway except from Tiffen. The Hoya HMC X1 med green is a much better product, readily available, and what I recommend to start with.

OK, great! Thx Drew and Kent!