Thread: Goerz Dagor and fungus?

Goerz Dagor and fungus?

I came across a Goerz Dagar series lll no.6 in a Acme #4 shutter, it has what I would say is mild fungus( 3 or 4 lines stretching across the lens). My question is I could pick this up for less than $100 and wondering would it be worth the trouble to get, the shutter needs a CLA as it doesnt work on the last two slow speeds, thoughts??

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Goerz Dagor and fungus?

Do you want it? Then get it.

If you don’t want it… don’t get it.

(Shrek)

Make sure the fungus is on one of the outer surfaces, not a degradation of the balsam glue. Each element has 2 outer surfaces and 4 inner (3 elements in 1 group, so 4 internal glass faces). Cleaning off outer fungus is easy, re-cementing the lens to clean internal gunk is a bit of a job. The shutter sounds like it needs cleaning the slow speed escapement, or you can use it as-is and just use the 'B' setting for the 1s and 1/2s.

Depending on the focal length, $100 could be quite reasonable. If it's 9-1/2" or longer, I would buy it, providing it would clean up nice if those problems are fixed.

No 7 is 14" or 360mm, f/7.7. $100 is a pretty low price for one. Depending on location and severity of the fungus, and depending on what kind of shutter it is, it could be a tremendous bargain. (Probably worth a gamble at $100)

EDITED: No 6 is 12", 7 is 14", 7A is 16.5"
    My Bad.
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 30-Sep-2022 at 16:06. Reason: oops
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    No 6 is 14" or 360mm, f/7.7.(Probably worth a gamble at $100)
    I have my 14 inch f/7.7 Goerz Double Anastigmat Series III in a No 4 Acme in front of me now. It is marked "No 7". Educated guess is that a No 6 is a 12 inch Dagor, that is if Goerz numbered their Double Anastigmats and Dagor focal lengths with the same #'s. Either way I definitely wouldn't pass up on it for only $100.

Usable 14" Dagor for $100 would be an absolute bargain... with a whopping image circle stopped down past f22..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have my 14 inch f/7.7 Goerz Double Anastigmat Series III in a No 4 Acme in front of me now. It is marked "No 7". Educated guess is that a No 6 is a 12 inch Dagor, that is if Goerz numbered their Double Anastigmats and Dagor focal lengths with the same #'s. Either way I definitely wouldn't pass up on it for only $100.