Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographers using a Goerz Artar

Photographers using a Goerz Artar

Does anyone know of any contemporary photographers who use a Goerz Artar (whether for landscapes, portraits, etc) that have websites on which I can view images to gauge the rendition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Photographers using a Goerz Artar

Tin Can

Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee use/used Artars and Dagors

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/html/photographs.php

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

24" RD Artar

4x10 negative/platinum print. (No sky...the background is the eastside of the Sierras.)

Picking out the qualities of an Artar from on-line images will be tough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AlabamaHills24inch.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

APO artar has been around since the early 1900's.. Remained in production for over 100 years.. Example of resolution a proper APO artar is capable of,
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...420-microscope

Images on line via video monitor do not begin to reveal the subtle difference in lens personality.. This is a very real and serious issues today as SO many turn to the web to make choices on stuff like lens personality, when in reality web images are not the proper means to convey this degree and type of visual information.

Inverting this question, what specific image personalities/goals are you looking for in the lens rendering?

Bernice

Question

Are Red Dot significantly better than No Dot in portrait or field for LF and ULF contact prints?

and what about Blue Dot
    Tin Can

RD's are coated. I believe they are also optimized for more landscape size-reduction, rather that object size enlargement that process lenses are optimized for. For 90% of users, very little significant difference.

Don't know it that made much sense!

No Artars had a Blue Dot, I believe...at least when they were called Artars.

Edit: Obviously much more complicated than one would imagine. Uncoated Artars benefit from a good lens shade; with lots of attention to both strong reflected light towards the lens, and to foggy/diffused light conditions to maintain the contrast achieved by the coated examples of the same lens. The coatings allow one to handle flare-conditions a little easier.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 9-Sep-2022 at 11:33.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

We had a 19" RD Artar in the cabinet when I worked for Kodak. We rarely needed it, but it was very sharp both for copying and (very occasionally) at distance. I think it was made in the early 1950s. Its contrast was lower than the more modern lenses we used, which was never an issue. I believe (probably read it here) that the Artar's symmetrical design made it equally sharp both close-up and at infinity. I'd shoot with one today if one was handy...

It's worth noting that in the 1990s, when Schneider owned the design, they marketed it as the "Apo-Artar" and said (in glossy full-color magazine ads) that it was "the best lens for photographing jewelry".

Red Dot APO artar are vast majority coated, think their serial numbers began at 78xx...
    APO artar can be coated or not coated depending on when it was made. Have 14" APO artar, not "red dot" serial number 77xxx that is coated.

Non coated would have lower contrast, coated high_er contrast.. better or lesser, depends on your image goals and needs.

Bernice

I don't have any direct experience with a Goerz Artar, but I have used a Schneider 480mm APO Artar for many years on my 8x10 Deardorff shooting mostly landscapes and, though I don't have a website where you could view examples, I can assure you that it's quite sharp with very nice overall rendering of the image.