Thread: Kodak Fixer vs Kodafix

Kodak Fixer vs Kodafix

I'm asking this question beause I've never used Kodafix. I've always been a Kodak Fixer fan. It works for everything. But now I see that Kodak Fixer is a good bit higher price than Kodafix liquid.Who'd have though a few pennies of powder would climb so high? Kodafix instructs to mix for 1 gallon for film fixer or 2 gallons for paper fixer. My question is, what happens if you mix it for 2 gallons and just use it for film and paper? Will it simply work more slowly on film? Or will it be entirely inadequate? Thank you.

Re: Kodak Fixer vs Kodafix

If you use the "paper dilution" for film, fixing times will be longer and capacity reduced. Note Kodafix is a rapid fixer while Kodak Fixer is not. You'll need to compare the capacity specs at working dilutions vs price in order to figure out which is more economical from a cost perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    I'm asking this question beause I've never used Kodafix. I've always been a Kodak Fixer fan. It works for everything. But now I see that Kodak Fixer is a good bit higher price than Kodafix liquid.Who'd have though a few pennies of powder would climb so high? Kodafix instructs to mix for 1 gallon for film fixer or 2 gallons for paper fixer. My question is, what happens if you mix it for 2 gallons and just use it for film and paper? Will it simply work more slowly on film? Or will it be entirely inadequate? Thank you.

Re: Kodak Fixer vs Kodafix

I haven't used Kodafix for many years, but back when I did the cost of it was always reasonable. If you make fiber prints, I suggest mixing the film strength and using that for both.