Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Plate Availability

Re: Dry Plate Availability

Alan, I wasn’t sure if you had received my reply to your email but looks like you did. I’m guessing you could detect my frustration with myself at not being able to produce dry plates as soon after moving as I wanted. However, that frustration is tempered by all the activity I see in the community with people making their own…. Just like I did several years ago and just like John describes of himself. This is because my goal isn’t to produce dry plates (tbh I’ve actually had time to do things like read books during this enforced downtime… halfway through the Aubrey and Maturin series), but rather to support growing interest in dry plate photography. So I’m glad to see you decide to make your own. Quite a few folks are doing that.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Yes some of us are trying DIY

However we want to encourage you to resume
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Alan, I wasn’t sure if you had received my reply to your email but looks like you did. I’m guessing you could detect my frustration with myself at not being able to produce dry plates as soon after moving as I wanted. However, that frustration is tempered by all the activity I see in the community with people making their own…. Just like I did several years ago and just like John describes of himself. This is because my goal isn’t to produce dry plates (tbh I’ve actually had time to do things like read books during this enforced downtime… halfway through the Aubrey and Maturin series), but rather to support growing interest in dry plate photography. So I’m glad to see you decide to make your own. Quite a few folks are doing that.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Yes, I did receive your reply...thank you.

Looks like Necj is the only supplier left in the world for pre-made dry plates. I still have a box of his plates and would gladly order more, but the cost of DHL Express shipping to the US is just staggering. So, until you start making plates, again (hint...hint...what Tin Can said), I'm going to make my own. I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve there but will also be fun!

Enjoy your downtime! Can't go wrong with books.

On glass for the plates. Check with Picture Framing Supply houses. Pre-cut sizes in bulk are often lower priced than a regular glass company.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

multiplex

fun thing about making dry plates / using liquid emulsion is you don't need to stick the plates in your camera ( its basically glass photo paper ), and ... the glass doesn't have to be flat. I wish I could remember her name but I bumped into a photographer years ago who was making these 8x10 printed on ( I think they were either 8x10 contact prints or 4x5s enlarged onto 8x10 ) glass. photography is a pretty versatile medium.