Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-ray film 10 x12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

X-ray film 10 x12

I am embarking into 5 x 12 and 10 x 12 photography and am considering using HRU 10 X12 FUJI GREEN X-RAY FILM 10 X 12. Do any other members use this film and what speed do they use for exposures? I realize that cutting it down to 5 x 12 is fraught with problems but I will try. I have ordered 5 x 12 HP5 on the Ilford ulf offering but it will not be here until November. Any experiences using HRU 10 X12 FUJI GREEN X-RAY FILM 10 X 12 film and developing methods and any other x-ray films gratefully received
    Last edited by Simon Benton; 6-Sep-2022 at 12:25.

Re: X-ray film 10 x12

I have not used 10x12 but I have cut down their 8x10 to 4x5. It’s not complicated if you are careful. I would think development would be the same as any other size. Look in the long X-Ray thread for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Benton View Post
    I realize that cutting it down to 5 x 12 is fraught with problems but I will try.
    Not really... I recommend using a Dahle rotary trimmer
    https://www.dahle.com/trimmers/rotary
    In my experience the smallest size trimmer that will cut your film is the easiest to use. I would recommend using a pair of "cotton" archival print handling gloves. With bare hands and fingers I have heard of others experiencing fingerprint problems with their negatives. Never happened to me though. I use a strip of painters masking tape on the cutter's grid marked surface to easily align the film up to to cut it to the correct size. I also cut the film about 1 mm less in size. I one time cut up about a dozen sheets of whole plate sized film, only to have it about 1 mm too wide to fit into the holder. Cutting the 2mms off to fit the holders was very, very difficult to do....

I wash my hands just before handling any film, never gloves

I don't touch my greasy hair and face

I gaff tape matt board production stops set to exactly real film by using my micrometer fingers, not joking

I prefer 2 cheap Dahle guillotine over any roller, a 12" and 18" stored in dust free metal drawers

I use mine only for film and can cut in full dark

I also use a paper safe that never had paper in it

Practice in light
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I wash my hands just before handling any film, never gloves
    Lucky! I wish I didn’t need gloves but unfortunately I can wash my hands till the cows come home and 30 seconds later I need gloves for anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    30 seconds later I need gloves for anything and everything.
    One tip I picked up from Ken Lee was to wipe your hands with an alcohol swab to remove skin oils before handling a sheet of film--I couldn't speak to any rigorous testing on my part, but I always figure it couldn't hurt.

I have used this specific film in 8x10 from factory. I rate it around 100 ISO. It has an emulsion on BOTH SIDES, so there is no back or front. same results no matter which side faces the lens. Using stainless steel frames in 3.5 gal. tanks is best, or in a flat-bottom try. Trays with raised ribs on bottom will scratch the emulsion on the back, and rotary tube will not allow proper processing in the back. If you have to, you can increase process time by about 50%, and remove the rear damaged emulsion with laundry bleach. I use packing tape on a laminate surface with damaged side up. The tape around the edges will keep the bleach from seeping around the edge and damaging the side you're saving. Increasing the process time helps produce a denser, higher contrast image so when you strip off half the image with bleach, you won't have a flat, low-density image left on the remaining side.
    Best of luck!
    Chas
    Last edited by chaspics; 6-Sep-2022 at 11:00. Reason: spelling

I have a box or two of expired FP4+ 5x12 if you don't want to wait until your order comes in. Expired Jun2020 but still works fine and has been stored in dark cool spot but not frozen. PM me if interested.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

In Europe we have the 24x30 cm version!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. I have ordered a box of green X-Ray film 10 x12 and will give it a try. A fellow member kindly offered me some 5 x 12 FP4 which I will be trying out very soon. Thanks again.