Thread: Dissassembly of an Antique Brass Lens

Re: Dissassembly of an Antique Brass Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I don't use that type hose clamp
    nor oil filter wrench
    They all make things worse
    Kroil, let sit, Kroil again
    and good luck
    Sorry I don't think making a deadly stuck lens fully funсtional in about 5 to 10 minutes is 'making things worse' . Done it to dozens of lenses, and always with 100% positive results. You don't use those - that's perfectly OK. But have you ever tried them - I mean exactly the same hose clamps as shown above (I actually don't know what is an oil filter wrench) - before stating they make things worse?

On the other hand, I have left one lens with penetrating oil on the threads for a couple of years with absolutely no results.... And I think it's the crawling oil inside a lens barrel that is the thing that makes optics worse. I don't use any oils any more.

I tested and used thousands of hose clamps to save my life, as my usage was in live engine Dyno testing

We installed Pyrex Glass tubes inline as sight glass to observe antifreeze bubbles under high pressure and temps from -25 F to 300 F

Your hose clamps broke the glass and leaked or failed to a dangerous flood of antifreeze

Root cause was lousy QC and the flat spot under the screw clamp

Well before YouTube

Watch these hose clamps
    Best Hose Clamp? Let’s Settle This! Ideal, Precision, Koehler, Norma, Skandvik, Mishimoto, Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by ridax View Post
    Sorry I don't think making a deadly stuck lens fully funсtional in about 5 to 10 minutes is 'making things worse' . Done it to dozens of lenses, and always with 100% positive results. You don't use those - that's perfectly OK. But have you ever tried them - I mean exactly the same hose clamps as shown above (I actually don't know what is an oil filter wrench) - before stating they make things worse?

On the other hand, I have left one lens with penetrating oil on the threads for a couple of years with absolutely no results.... And I think it's the crawling oil inside a lens barrel that is the thing that makes optics worse. I don't use any oils any more.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    ....antifreeze bubbles under high pressure and temps from -25 F to 300 F
    Your hose clamps broke the glass and leaked or failed to a dangerous flood of antifreeze
    Thank you for your explanation. I guess I just began to understand your feelings about the stuff.... But that's certainly a pretty demanding application. I never have any boiling antifreeze inside my lenses . So those clamps are OK for me....

Up-Date:

Heated the assembly to 170f in the oven for 30 min.

Used oven mits to twist. No luck . . .stuck fast.

Necxt try will be an hour long heat soak. Then . . .

Next try will be a week long soak in penetrating oil. I have "Liquid Wrench" at hand.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Keep us informed, and good luck...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Heat the assembly to 170F, then apply liquid wrench with the assembly at 170F. Allow the assembly to cool soaking in liquid wrench. Heating expands the metal (Brass) and the gaps present in the assembly allowing the liquid wrench more ability to enter the joint. Once cooled off completely, then try unscrewing the flange.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Up-Date:

Heated the assembly to 170f in the oven for 30 min.

Used oven mits to twist. No luck . . .stuck fast.

Necxt try will be an hour long heat soak. Then . . .

Next try will be a week long soak in penetrating oil. I have "Liquid Wrench" at hand.