Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Issue with Jobo Process operation - Lift arm

Re: Issue with Jobo Process operation - Lift arm

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Omer had a "handle", a Catlabs product, it was offered a few years back. No longer available.

http://processorparts.blogspot.com/2...er-30-for.html

Attachment 230455
    I purchased my CPP-2 from Omer (refurbished) several years ago and it has one of the lift handles shown in red. It works great with the 3010 Expert Drums (or any longer drum) as it allows me to raise the lift under the bottom end of the drum with my right hand. Very little strain on the lift handle which may be in my left hand. I often don’t use the lift handle at all since that red bracket is so perfectly handy.
    Last edited by JMO; 1-Sep-2022 at 09:15.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Andrej Gregov

Hey Bob. I process 20" C prints in a 3063 drum and that's even more bulky than the 3005 drum. As has been suggested by others, I simply turn off the motor, then place my right hand under the end of the drum and pull up. I hardly use the lift arm at all with extra large drums. It's works well enough for me. That said, I'm not sure Jobo designed the CPP3 for high volume lab workflow like you have with some of your film runs. I'm actually amazed your CPP3 hasn't conked out by now given your volume. I remember you were one of the first to pick one up when they were released. I think your longer term strategy sounds right to fabricate some handles. Probably the best way to go for intense film runs.

I broke the arm on my CPP-2 lift a few years ago. I was able to replace it with a replacement part from Catlabs. The lift assembly is a flawed design with plastic gears and parts that are not structurally strong enough to lift the weight of an expert drum full of liquid. As mentioned above you need to lift the tank on the assembly with your right hand and - I lift some with my left hand the lift arm. I determined it is not just the arm that isn't designed to lift the weight - it is also the plastic gear assembly that I suspect would not hold up either.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Turn the motor OFF when draining and use one hand under the drum to take the weight off the handle when lifting. Once drained lower the drum with one hand under it for support and push down on the drum to be sure it is securely on the rail and then turn the motor back ON and refill the drum with chemistry. This is the quickest way to drain and refill the drum while protecting the handle.

Thomas
    This sounds like what Jobo recommends with Expert drums.

Re: Issue with Jobo Process operation

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    One of the Jobo info sheets for the Expert drums warns about this:

Caution: The Expert Series of Drums will fit on JOBO CPA-2 and CPP-2 manual processors. Care must be taken! A loaded Expert Drum can be very heavy and strain both the rotation motor and lift of manual processors. Use both hands to help the lift when raising it...
    Yup. I never saw that instruction either, but it never occurred to me to use the lift any other way. Part of the problem of being a mechanical engineer I suppose. I put a 3010 drum on the processor (unloaded), lifted it with the lift arm once as a test when the drum was brand new, and it was immediately obvious to my engineering brain that this wasn't a viable way to empty the drum. So forever more I pretty much completely ignored the lift arm and lifted the drum by (right) hand under the lift (under the bottom edge of drum). Yes, you have to put your hand in the tempered water to do this. But it's much easier to control it this way, and no danger of breaking the lift arm if you don't use it. Just sayin'.

But I did eventually find that instruction years later. It was nice to be validated, but that didn't change the stellar negative development I was getting already. Perfectly smooth skies, thy name is Jobo.

Bruce Watson

Might want to think of the OEM lift arm handle as a protective device like a fuse or shear pin.

If it was stronger, then you might find the underlying mechanism would fail instead of you breaking the handle off.

Sort of like putting in too big a fuse or too thick a shear pin results in damage the protective device is there to prevent...

There's a landscape photographer who has a great video. He's processing 8x10 Fujichrome in the 6 bath Fuji chemistry. I can't find the video right now. He's got a longer set of tubes and it allows full adjustment of the rollers. He must of replaced the original rods.

The video is very well done. It's on YouTube somewhere

https://youtu.be/O13gyhxYWng

Here's Tony Santo, if you scroll forward you can see how he modified the lift.

Thanks for the video , that pretty much confirms my thoughts I will look into making an extension somewhat like the one he has.

I just ran across this thread - I recently bought a used Jobo and it has what looks similar to the discontinued Catlabs red unit. Maybe this is what catlabs based their design on?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10FD0B26-9776-4CA8-8DD7-DF76130D0F28.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	231660