4, empty amber glass gallons

and PF TF5

Best prices with free CONUS shipping

I don't like to 'test' chems, I use the same stuff for years

PQ WAS once upon a time called the 'Universal' Developer

It still is
    Tin Can

Re: What's With the Rodinal? Can't Find Any

I do not know about PQ. I have been making my Fuji HRT tests on Rodinal 1:100 and have found a decent procedure. I don't want to go through all that again by changing developer. Granted I have a jar of metol and some sulfite. I can make D-23 all day long. But Rodinal lasts so long and my shooting is so infrequent I don't want to have to mix up a fresh batch of D-23 all the time. Last time I did testing with D-23 I ended up having to go with Willi Beutler's to get my contrast right. I got this Rodinal down and want to stick wit it.

Such doomsday talk. So Rodinal is about of stock right now. It has been in the past, and supplies do show up. Be patient, it will most probably be back in stock soon.

I don't use PQ on X-Ray unless I process 14X36" X-Ray sheets by hand seesaw

Very fast process under safe light

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    I do not know about PQ. I have been making my Fuji HRT tests on Rodinal 1:100 and have found a decent procedure. I don't want to go through all that again by changing developer. Granted I have a jar of metol and some sulfite. I can make D-23 all day long. But Rodinal lasts so long and my shooting is so infrequent I don't want to have to mix up a fresh batch of D-23 all the time. Last time I did testing with D-23 I ended up having to go with Willi Beutler's to get my contrast right. I got this Rodinal down and want to stick wit it.
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

I bought 5 bottles of a no-name copy off a dealer 2 years ago. Don't expect to run out any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    2 years ago. Don't expect to run out any time soon.
    Right!
    I don't use it and I thought everyone that did had a lifetime supply of it because it never goes bad.

I’ve tried it and was never able to get results I liked. I probably have some since I gave up on it and knowing it’s so long lasting I probably never disposed of it. I’ll check.

I know - or also assumed anyway - the OP wanted the Adox version but since that doesn’t seem to be on offer anywhere at the moment I’d bet dollars-to-doughnuts the Rollei version, if not functionally identical, will still be much closer to the Adox version than anything else will be. A close substitute, IOW, at worst, if not, at best, an exact replacement.

I remember that guy but not his being banned. I’ve been away a while. I may have to check old posts.

Here's what I don't get. So, the story is Agfa went out of business. Then Adox acquired the rights to the formula. That implies exclusivity. So why would Rollei or anybody else be producing the EXACT formula, any more that a million other cola companies sell Coca Cola exactly? Is the Coke formula not in a vault? I won't even bring up the common knowledg that Rodinal itself isn't even Rodinal, since what....2004, or 2014, or whenever? Specifically the original Agfa Rodinal was a grainy as heck terrible developer. I always hated it. But on this 8x10 X-ray film, it works perfect. And the word was that original Rodinal would last till the Sun supernovas. All these other brands, lord knows what they really are.

What's With the Rodinal? Can't Find Any

The patent long since expired. My understanding is that anyone can make it and sell it, as long as they don’t call it “Rodinal.”

Companies like Coke keep the formula in a vault because they’d have to reveal it to patent it, and patents expire. If they can keep it secret they can own it exclusively forever. Of course a trademark like “Coca-Cola” or “Rodinal” is a different matter.

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    ... Of course a trademark like “Coca-Cola” or “Rodinal” is a different matter.
    Fotoimpex.com writes on their Adox Rodinal page:
    Due to trademark conflicts Rodinal can currently not be sold to F R A N C E.
    Please choose ADONAL instead. If you order Rodinal to France we will autmatically ship you ADONAL instead.

Although I don't live in France, I have experienced that Fotoimpex.com sometimes just send me Adonal when I order Rodinal. Not that I care - it is the same.

As of writing this, both Rodinal and Adonal in 500ml bottles are in stock.

I like Rodinal for Foma film. With HC110 they come out muddy and contrast-less. HC110 works better for me with Ilford film.
    ----
    Niels