Thread: Devere 108s 10x10 Enlarger

Question Devere 108s 10x10 Enlarger

Hello everyone,

I have access to take on a Devere 108s 10x10 enlarger in working condition and to ship it from another country to my studio. I realise its quite a beast, I have used it in the past.

I will only be paying for the shipping, but I have a few obstacles until I do;

- I am currently trying to avoid needing to physically going there to get it (unless I have no choice) as it is far away, but I can send a shipping company that will crate it and ship it directly to my studio.

- I don't have access to someone who could help me to take it apart - so potentially it will be one unit.

I was thinking of paying someone for a day / half a day - potentially someone who can read the instructions and take apart (not a professional darkroom technician as I dont know anyone there who can do it, just someone with good attitude for mechanics). I know it would be easy to get the working bench table off (4 screws?) and the head of the enlarger will slide off.

* What I really need to know is if the 2.5 meter column comes in one part or two?

* does anyone have a diagram / pdf the can send me for the assembly instructions? - also to be used for taking it apart.

OR -

Should I just send it as is without taking any of the parts off and hoe for the best? - That would be my preferred way - less hassle - but would that be ok? is there anything I need to know in particular except the fact that everything needs to be locked before laying it down horizontally for shipping?

Many thanks,
    Matan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 3.00.44 PM.jpg   WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 3.00.42 PM.jpg   WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 3.00.43 PM.jpg  

Re: Devere 108s 10x10 Enlarger

Where about is this beast? What part of the world? And where are you? If it's like the 5108, it is a 2 piece column. KHB should be able to verify this. L

I've shipped some large and cumbersome items using DHL. Ideally, the shipper would mount it on a pallet, crate it (3/4" plywood screwed into 2x4 supports) and strap it to the pallet. There are some benefits to keeping the head on it and strapping it down and then putting it at the lowest position (table high, head low) with foam below it to protect it from impact.

Brian

A Chinese member here shipped similar intact, big box, to China from USA

He posted images of the box and the unboxing
    Tin Can

It's a significantly different assembly from the 5108 - I can't recall if the column splits at all. Overall a much more massive machine - designed for aerial mapping work and the like, the table is 40x60" or so & has motorised controls. I'd strongly advise asking Odyssey Sales (De Vere's successor) for advice - it's considerably bigger, heavier and more complicated than a 5108 - in fact, it looks like it may have been purchased from Odyssey - or the manual that's sitting on the baseboard at least. It should be able to be fairly readily crated in a manner that can be forklift handled.

Thank you all, I ended up phisically going there and took it apart. If anyone would be interested in the future - yes the column does split to 2 parts with 3 large screws. you need at least 4 people to take it down - the upper column is extremely heavy - there were 5 of us and it was still not easy..
    Last edited by M/A; 20-Feb-2023 at 07:05.

I ended up phisically going there and took it apart.
    Any pictures?

My Durst was pretty compact and easy to transport with one helper (first image), by comparison to some others (second image).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unloading4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	235872

Name:	2007_0530_S3-02(rw).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	235873

The big one trying to get on truck is a 2 post Saltzman with big lead weights inside the 2 pipes

But the triangular lamp holder is easily removed and carried by any weakling like me

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Any pictures?

My Durst was pretty compact and easy to transport with one helper (first image), by comparison to some others (second image).

Name:	unloading4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	235872

Name:	2007_0530_S3-02(rw).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	235873
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It's a significantly different assembly from the 5108 - I can't recall if the column splits at all. Overall a much more massive machine - designed for aerial mapping work and the like, the table is 40x60" or so & has motorised controls. I'd strongly advise asking Odyssey Sales (De Vere's successor) for advice - it's considerably bigger, heavier and more complicated than a 5108 - in fact, it looks like it may have been purchased from Odyssey - or the manual that's sitting on the baseboard at least. It should be able to be fairly readily crated in a manner that can be forklift handled.
    I know but it is still a 2 piece column. L

yes indeed it is a 2 piece column as mentioned above.. my current issue with the enlarger is that one of the motors failed. otherwise everything else work. I will have to have it repaired. As far as I understand, these type of motors may require a replacement of carbon brushes that sit inside it. I may have to bring someone to help with it.. I am again travelling for work and a residency and will be on it when i'm back in May. then I will really start working on my mirror project - to attach a front face optical mirror under the lens and to be able to project horizontally. this is for mural work which I've been cooking the ideas for a while.. I will also need to figure out a track and wheels for the beast.. if anyone has ideas how to best figure it out in the U.K. please let me know!

more soon..
    M