Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

Re: My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Kind of on the subject, Drew--any mods to your Ries that help you secure it to the pack frame while underway? I must admit that load shifting is a pet peeve of mine (hate being banged in the noggin when shouldering a pack--or, especially, "b'ar crawling" through rhody) but other than taking another bight around the sticks with a compression strap, I've yet to achieve a real stable configuration.

At any rate, I don't think anything can compare to the OP's Ries aesthetically--reminds me of my "flamed" cane flyrods.
    I dont' wear a tripod and pack at the same time. I do wear my Ries tripod on my back with a Tab Gear biathlon sling (plus some wide velcro straps for each end of the sling/tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    a stronger rubber type related to securing pickup loads
    Drew-- Excellent, tho' I don't have any anchor points that I'd feel comfortable really reefing down on a load...a point in favor of your external frames!

JP--thanks for the insights...Vaughn is burly enough to Paul Bunyan his sticks over his shoulder, iirc, but your solution seems a bit easier on the traps.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Why I chose Ries's J100-2 over its A100...

Specifications that these two tripods have in common:

Material: Wood
    Maximum height: 152cm (62")
    Minimum height: 30.5cm (12")
    Folded length: 102cm (40”)
    Weight (with bronze rather than aluminium knobs): 5kg (11lb)
    I ended up with the J100-2 because the 4-inch crown matched the J250 head. Going this route saved some money and weight and I felt my Kodak 2D 8x10 and 19th C. Petzval lenses would be plenty solid on the J100-2 set up. Turns out I was right. I do like using the J250 head. It's very quick to adjust and solid. It's the best tripod/head I've ever owned.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kodak2Dries.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I bought a Libec video tripod w 75mm bowl and floor level and mod-level spreaders when I was doing Audio/Video for a local classical orchestra. It turned out to be far better than I expected and now I use it for everything up to an 8 x 10 Linhof Kardan Bi (not a lightweight by any means.) Haven't put the Minox on it (yet) but have used it with a 1937 Zeiss Ikonta 4.5 x 6 at the light end. I have to admit that I like the look of the FLM CF tripod - my heavy (very heavy) duty 'pod is a large Majestic.

Sometimes I just take Ries for a walk...

The second image -- me in 1980 with the camera and tripod I hitched-hiked with in NZ for three months. Not the optimal pod to be sure...with a video head (but a rotating back so I did not have to worry about side-to-side leveling.) The tripod did not matter as the camera had a major light-leak on the back, so I got nothing (almost) on that trip anyway. This is the condition of the tripod before I took it to NZ.

The next trip to NZ (1986 - 5 months on bicycle), I took a new Gitzo Studex with a No.2 Ballhead...and a new (but well used before the trip) Gowland 4x5 PocketView...perfect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails There.jpg   1981Camera.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China