Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

Re: My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    If the Gitzo is the aluminum one, that would be second.

Hi Fred,

As part of this decision, I checked what Gitzo makes in aluminium. I was unable to find anything. I don't think that Gitzo makes aluminium tripods anymore. Certainly, its Systematic Tripods are all carbon fibre.

By the by, I was only interested in the Systematic line due to the accessories available for it and because several other companies use the Systematic specifications. I can use my Gitzo Systematic accessories with my Systematic-compliant Really Right Stuff ground tripod (current version of RRS's ground tripod). Also, accessories made by other companies that use the system can be less expensive. A Benro half ball is cheaper than a Gitzo half ball.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I've been a Gitzo fan for decades. I have many of them. Nonetheless, if I were to buy a new tripod, I doubt I would get one. Companies like Leofoto make equally or higher quality, more innovative, and better value tripods, with more easily available accessories. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bqg4J3MEoE&t=724s
    Hi Peter,

Your post raises an interesting difference in personal requirements and preferences.

Note that the Gitzo option in post #1 is a Series 5 tripod. It has only three sections, its top leg section has a diameter of 41.3mm (1.6") and it has a 10cm (4") crown that will take a 100mm bowl. As far as I can tell, Leofoto doesn't make a comparable tripod. The closest it comes is a tripod that in the Gitzo lineup would be a Series 3 tripod, which is what my Gitzo G1325 is. If you want a three section Series 3 tripod, Leofoto's version is indeed cheaper.

When it comes to carbon fibre tripods, I want fairly robust leg diameter and stability, which is what you get with fewer leg sections. Leofoto appears to place a lot of emphasis on minimising folded length, which means more leg sections, and reducing weight. I'm not terribly concerned about folded length, provided that the tripod will fit into my checked baggage (I don't care whether the tripod folds to 68cm/27" or 53cm/21"), and I'm not focused on grams/ounces when it comes to weight.

Three Legged Thing, and perhaps other companies, make versions of the kind of Leofoto levelling device shown in your time stamp of Hudson Henry's video. It's less expensive than a levelling base on a half ball, and no doubt some people find it more convenient.

For me it comes down the where I'm shooting. I often shoot along the ocean / beach / shore. (sand, mud, salt)

The tube legs and feet with screw-twist locking are very precisely made and don't do so well with salt and sand in them based on my experience with the tiltalls which I otherwise love for 4x5 and smaller.

The wooden style tripods like the Ries or surveying tripod are much more immune to problems in my environment. I have J and A series Ries and a couple surveying tripods. I do think Ries is good if you can afford it. I have had the leg angle lock bolts unscrew themselves and lost one but the tripod works fine without that.

I keep wanting somebody to get the Franz Bagyi Berlebach:
    https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=248
    if only because I'm a slut for Flecktarn. Probably not an all-around option at 40" max height, but it would be fun to do a proof-of-concept.

Otherwise, I think everyone's on the right track regarding the high mass/low resonance of wooden tripods--I like, too, how the mass is distributed in a wooden tripod...carbon fiber sticks, however structurally sound "statically," always seem too top-heavy to trust while working around them in the field.

Small town, South Carolina, US

The aluminum 3 series Gitzo tripods are remarkably stable when used only with a plate or bowl level. Just have to get one that is tall enough without a center column.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    For me it comes down the where I'm shooting. I often shoot along the ocean / beach / shore. (sand, mud, salt)

The tube legs and feet with screw-twist locking are very precisely made and don't do so well with salt and sand in them based on my experience with the tiltalls which I otherwise love for 4x5 and smaller.

The wooden style tripods like the Ries or surveying tripod are much more immune to problems in my environment. I have J and A series Ries and a couple surveying tripods. I do think Ries is good if you can afford it. I have had the leg angle lock bolts unscrew themselves and lost one but the tripod works fine without that.
    How did you go about rigging the tops of your surveyor tripods for cameras?

Really Right Stuff makes two ground tripods that I have, one aluminium and one carbon fibre. The aluminium tripod is popular with nature and wildlife photographers for precisely the reason that you state; it's perfect if you're around muck, sand and salt. RRS discontinued the aluminium version in 2020 and revived it a few months ago. For some reason, it isn't on RRS's website, but retailers like B&H are selling it.

It's a really nice tripod, but the revival came with an unconscionable 33% price hike, from US$400 to $600. There's a link to the carbon fibre version, which now actually costs less, in post #11.

Really Right Stuff Ground-Level Aluminum Tripod (TFA-32G)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rrs.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	230354

Name:	rrs2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	230355

The personal opinion on tripods...

Tripod choice depends on camera to be used.

For the 5x7 Sinar Norma or Sinar P/C if used outside.. The modified Surveyor tripod (Dutch Hill, no center column) remains first choice. It is stable, excellent vibration control, extremely rugged_durable_abuse tolerant_reliable_environment tolerant. Prior to the Dutch Hill it was a larger Gitzo with the wings on the twist locks. Used it for decades and very well used today from all it's travels. The twist locks have gotten stuck with sand, dirt and ... forcing a take-apart and cleaning. If the twist locks are stuck in water, this creates an entirely different set of problems for telescopic legs. None of these innate problems with telescopic legs happen with the Dutch Hill or similar open design twin shank tripods. IMO, modified surveyor tripods are an excellent value with excellent tripod performance.

For the Linhof Technikardan 23S, The newest addition Berlebach 833 with integral ball head, no center column is top choice. Wood being very stable with GOOD vibration control. Add to this the integral ball head allows easier leveling of the tripod independent of the leg's position allowing ease of a stable platform to fine tuning the camera position using a pan/tilt/nod tripod head. The Berlebach has proven to be very nice to use and durable so far. Prior to the wood Berlebach used carbon fiber and aluminum leg tripods which proved to be lesser for tripod performance.

For the Canon digital or 35mm film with smaller lenses, the Carbon fiber Innorel NT85 (also sold as many re-branded CF tripods today, made in china) or decades old Bogen 3021, 3005 (both have had their center column removed-replaced with a solid 3/8" stud for the tripod head). Yes, the CF tripod is light weigh stable enough and all that. Yet the twist lock four section legs remain a hassle to used. The telescopic legs retain all the same problems telescopic legs have with sand-dirt-water intrusion and remain prone to getting stuck. IMO, the only advantage of CF is low weight, it trades off stability for low weight. Notable, the CF Innorel is not much lower in weight than the Bogen 3005.. just over one pound. The Innorel NT85 has 32mm diameter legs at their largest tapering down to 22mm diameter.. It's stability and vibration control is not much better than the Bogen 3005. The weight capacity rating of 50 pounds is extremely questionable.. and IMO, weight ratings are meaningless in too many ways.. Innorel offers a 40mm tube version, 88 pound rating, takes a 75mm bowl direct and interchangeable "heads" popular with the telescope folks and also marketed under various other brand names. After a venture with CF tripods, decided the only real advantage they have over aluminum is about 30% less weight for a given tripod size. CF does have slightly improved vibration control over aluminum but not as good as a proper wood tripod or wood composite tripod.

Majority of the tripod market today is focused to hand held digital camera users that highly value lowest weight, smallest size, portability. Their tripod needs are not the same as view camera users. Another source of tripod difficulty comes with folks venturing into this view camera stuff carrying over their hand held digital or film camera ways-habits.. Their previous small, lightweight, easily portable tripod with a ball head and center column that has served well for their hand held camera often becomes a source of grief when used with a view camera..

Honorable mention is the prior to Tiffen ownership Davis & Sanford rectangular aluminum leg tripod with integral adjustable leg spreader. These are remarkably rugged, durable and stable with modest weight for an aluminum tripod.. Used one for decades.

Notable for indoor "studio" camera support, a really GOOD studio stand flat works better in every way over any tripod.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    How did you go about rigging the tops of your surveyor tripods for cameras?

Really Right Stuff makes two ground tripods that I have, one aluminium and one carbon fibre. The aluminium tripod is popular with nature and wildlife photographers for precisely the kind of reason that you state. RRS discontinued the aluminium version in 2020 and revived it a few months ago. For some reason, it isn't on RRS's website, but retailers like B&H are selling it.

It's a really nice tripod, but the revival came with an unconscionable 33% price hike, from US$400 to $600. There's a link to the carbon fibre version, which now actually costs less, in post #11.

Really Right Stuff Ground-Level Aluminum Tripod (TFA-32G)

Name:	rrs.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	230354

Name:	rrs2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	230355
    Those are interesting! Shame it's only 17 inches high.

I use a round 1/4-20 to 5/8 adaptor. Then a 3/8 to 1/4 insert if the head needs 3/8. I use a bogen/manfrotto 3025 head which is now called the 056 head.

Berlebach makes a wood "mini" tripod.

https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=98

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Those are interesting!
    I use a round 1/4-20 to 5/8 adaptor. Then a 3/8 to 1/4 insert if the head needs 3/8. I use a bogen/manfrotto 3025 head which is now called the 056 head.

Tin Can