Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

The purpose of this thread is to talk about options that I was considering for a new tripod and, when I've had a chance to test it this weekend, about the one that I chose. It might interest some readers down the road.

My tripod has to support a 35mm camera (Leica film and digital), a 6x7 camera (Mamiya 7II), a large format camera (Arca-Swiss F-line, configurable for 4x5 and 8x10) and a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. As large format cameras go, the Arca-Swiss is not very heavy, even when configured for 8x10.

I currently have a Gitzo tripod (carbon fibre, Systematic Series 3) in New York, and a Ries tripod (wood) in another country. Due to the pandemic and other reasons, the Ries, a J100, is out of the picture for the moment. The Gitzo, a G1325 MK II, is no longer made, but there's a successor, the GT3533LS. I also have two ground tripods, but they were minor considerations when it came to choosing an additional standard tripod.

The Gitzo is a very good tripod, but for some time I've been interested in getting one that has more mass. I think that this is the result of using the Gitzo with the Blackmagic camera, a Miller fluid head, a ciné zoom lens and a monitor. The Miller, a CX6, weighs 2.3kg (5lbs) alone. The result is an overall rig that's fairly heavy. It feels very stable, very grounded, and I like that. I also cut weight in other places. I'm not interested in backpacking. When it comes to still photography, I rarely have more than one lens with me. I don't think that I've ever brought along more than three film holders. These days, I know what I'm going to shoot, and how, before I walk out the door. That's partly the result of shooting video, for which pre-planning is basic to getting a video actually made, and partly due to scouting and planning with Artist's Viewfinder and PhotoPills. Consequently, I think that extra tripod weight gets counterbalanced by being otherwise minimalist.

I narrowed my options to three:

Gitzo GT5533LS, Systematic Series 5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lf Gitzo 1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	230341

Price: US$1200

Material: carbon fibre
    Crown: 10cm (4”)
    Maximum height: 145cm (57”)
    Minimum height: 10cm (4”)
    Folded length: 68cm (27”)
    Weight: 2.7kg (6lb)

Leica Geosystems GST20

Name:	LF Leica GST 20.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	230340

Price: $470 with tools

Material: wood
    Crown: requires custom work
    Maximum height: 180cm (6’)
    Folded length: 107cm (3.5’)
    Weight: 6.4kg (14lb)

Ries J100-2

Name:	LF Ries.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	230342

Price: $718, more with options

Material: wood
    Crown: 10cm (4”)
    Maximum height: 152cm (62”)
    Minimum height: 30.5cm (12”)
    Folded length: 102cm (40”)
    Weight (with bronze knobs): 5kg (11lb)

I'll post more this weekend after trying out the new tripod. Curious to know whether anyone else has views on these options.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Foamer

Re: My New Tripod: Gitzo vs Leica Surveyor vs Ries

I have the Gitzo 1325, Ries J100-2, and a Feisol travel tripod 3441T. Since I shoot everything from 35mm to 8x10 wet plate and like a wide variety of genres I have a selection of tripods. Nothing beats the Ries for shooting wet plate with heavy brass lenses, and it's my first choice when wind is a factor here on the Northern Plains. However if I had to choose one tripod it would be the Gitzo 1325 for its versatility.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

First of all, that Leica Geosystems tripod is simply a decent rebranded US product ridiculously marked up. There's a parallel thread on this forum where someone recently paid around $100 for the same thing. I don't know why it takes another $370 just to put a particular brand name on one. Perhaps the name of a German company is harder to spell. But back when I distributed those, they put our company name on them at no extra cost for a certain order quantity. It's solid and dependable, but bulky to tote around, and would obviously need a turnbolt changeout from 5/8-11 to 3/8-16.

The Ries option you show is an excellent product, but somewhat light in my opinion for 8x10 usage. I own both that model and a heavier Ries, so know the functional distinction quite well. But you could try it with your own 8x10 to see if it's adequate, if they still offer a return privilege if it doesn't work out.

I don't like the feet on that Gitzo. But maybe they offer a spike foot option, which is a lot better in the field. I do sometimes use a modified Feisol CF tripod around that weight for even my 8x10 camera. But if you can manage extra carry weight, there's simply no substitute for the kind of sheer bully mass that comes with a big wooden tripod instead, especially in a breeze or on spongey ground. It's amazing how easily the bellows of an 8x10 can turn the whole setup into a kite on a March day up on some ridge. The more mass below, the better.

Les

Although I have a nice Feisol CF, I'd go (today) with a ProMediaGear, since it's stout and offers 75mm video bowl. If I was to shoot LF only , I'd more than likely choose Ries. But, that's just moi.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Although I have a nice Feisol CF, I'd go (today) with a ProMediaGear, since it's stout and offers 75mm video bowl. If I was to shoot LF only , I'd more than likely choose Ries. But, that's just moi.
    Thanks for mentioning your video bowl. The 75mm bowl that I use with the Miller Fluid Head and with a Gitzo Levelling Base was one of the important considerations in making this decision.

There are a dozen Tripod threads below this one with many great options stating pros/cons and prices. Function is more important than a brand name.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Tripods evolve like everything

a couple years ago bought biggest FLM, German design, China well built

I wanted a 100mm bowl and a tripod tall enough for a Gimbal head for birding

I also like Ari, he gave a discount for preorder, a few years ago.

Thank you Ari!

Now BIGGER https://flmusa.com/product/flm-atlas...-fiber-tripod/

But I have one...

btw, Ari did use input from LFPF, before production
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    There are a dozen Tripod threads below this one with many great options stating pros/cons and prices. Function is more important than a brand name.
    Please note the purpose of this thread, which is stated in the first sentence: "The purpose of this thread is to talk about options that I was considering for a new tripod and, when I've had a chance to test it this weekend, about the one that I chose."

This is a review. As is common practice for reviews, the first post sets out requirements and the options considered. As I discovered while making this decision, information on this forum about the options that I considered, including the option that I chose, is thin to non-existent. That's why I'm writing this. I'm also considering making a YouTube video because there is not a single video on the whole of YouTube about any of the options.

I'm unaware of any way to write something like this without referring to makes and models. Indeed, my view is that the more detailed I can be about components, the better. There are photos and links to make it easy for readers to see exactly what I'm talking about. Contrary to your impression, specific information on price in discussions about tripods on this forum is in fact uncommon. I've included prices because I think that cost is important, at least it is for me.

Have Gitzo (CF and aluminum), Ries (A and J), Manfrotto and Benro.

I would go with the Ries because of the one feature that very few others have - leg spread. I can't emphasize enough the utility of being able to place the legs where needed, esp on difficult ground. The weight is also a plus (or minus depending on how far one is going). If the Gitzo is the aluminum one, that would be second.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I've been a Gitzo fan for decades. I have many of them. Nonetheless, if I were to buy a new tripod, I doubt I would get one. Companies like Leofoto make equally or higher quality, more innovative, and better value tripods, with more easily available accessories. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bqg4J3MEoE&t=724s
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know