Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A little more Intrepid news (es bueno news)

Lachlan 717

Re: A little more Intrepid news (es bueno news)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    If you're curious about the updates, I uploaded a first look Video on my channel last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr3b4cR3MfY
    Thanks for the review, Ben.

Can you please let me know whether the MkIII fits your Stone camera case?

Appreciate your input!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The rear focus knob is not actual rear focus

as it moves the front only

I have become fond of rear standard focus

as I shoot studio primarily

Field shooters, not always

as they seek

less weight
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Thanks for the review, Ben.

Can you please let me know whether the MkIII fits your Stone camera case?

Appreciate your input!
    Yes! It is indeed a perfect fit for the mkIII.

just my intrepid experience: i bought a 4x5 mkIV used, it was a year old, mint conditions.
    After 3-4 months, during which i shot maybe 20 sheets, i had a minor issue, they said to put some glue or send it back for replacement of that part for a small fee. I went the glue way. After another 6 months i sent it over, they said both that the camera worked fine and that was my fault if it was broken, asking for a smaller fee and no repair (because it's fine. But you broke it. Clear as day).

I really like my intrepid, it's small and light and i can bring it in a small backpack up in the mountains. I'd never shoot some of my favourite pictures with a monorail or a metal folder that is twice the weight.
    And without those prices (and that used deal) i'd never have begun shooting large format.

After dealing with their customer support i'm both angry as hell and conscious that the camera is most likely what i need. That's an impressive result.

One just has to pray not having to deal with customer support and treat the knobs and moving parts like a mom treats her first born baby the very first time she touches him/her.

Well, for another take on Intrepid's customer service...

I had an issue using my dry plate holder in my 8x10 Mk II where the "clips" on the spring ends would pop off the back because they were too short for anything other than a normal film holder. I contacted them about this issue, and they told me that these springs had been redesigned with longer "clips" to avoid this popping off problem. They sent a new set right out. When I tried to install the new springs, I had some trouble with a few of the screws and notified Intrepid that I couldn't find suitable replacements either locally or online. They sent out a pack of screws. The story goes on from there, but I eventually wrote them about my concerns with installing the fresnel (bought from them.) Bottom line...they sent me a complete new back with fresnel installed! All I had to do was pop it on the camera. I couldn't have asked for more and, personally, consider this to be exemplary customer service!

I'm sorry to hear about the customer service issue. In my case, they gave me very good service. I had an early MK2 8x10. It developed some problems. They replaced it for free, and it was their idea to do so.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

wondering what they will do with the reducing backs. checked for an 8x10 to 5x7, their website says "OUT OF STOCK DUE TO REDESIGN".
    I understand the new version has a much different back from Mark I and II, different placement of magnets, different locking latches, etc... do they plan to keep building reducing backs for previous versions too? or are older versions left with less accessories choice?

good question. Will my v1.0 8x10 be orphaned re: 5x7 back because it's way old ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    good question. Will my v1.0 8x10 be orphaned re: 5x7 back because it's way old ?
    Since a question of reducing back availability for older 8x10 Intrepid cameras came up, I sent an email to Naomi asking about this. She said that they haven't produced reducing backs for the MK1 cameras for quite some time and that they would be producing these backs for the MKII cameras only until the end of this year. Then, they are switching production fully to the MK3 camera.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

sad news, thank you Alan