Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First 8x10 Exposures with Toyo Field

Re: First 8x10 Exposures with Toyo Field

The Fujinon 125mm f8 SWD does NOT cover 8x10 at infinity focus, have one tried. Schneider 120mm f8 Super Angulon barely covers 8x10 at f22, at infinity focus, same with the 120mm f8 SW nikkor. 115mm f6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon does not cover 8x10 at infinity focus..

~Respect the published image circle numbers...

IMO, too many toot about how their lenses "cover" 8x10 when the lens only illuminated the 8x10 sheet of film.. or significant optics performance drop off at or just beyond it's designed in optical performance image circle. Skip the idea of using camera movement if the lens barely covers the required sheet film format (8x10) in this case. To get the most out of what any wide angle lens, a bag bellow is almost always mandatory, small camera movements are often used (some exceptions like rise/fall/shift) demanding precision from the camera.

Moving closer to the foreground subject relative to a large object aids in increasing the lens image circle. Stopping the lens down also aids in increasing lens image circle of these modern wide angle lenses to a degree, once much past f32 the image circle does not increase that much more..

Add to this reality, light fall off which can be corrected lots by applying the proper center filter. How much light fall off is acceptable depends on the image maker's needs and expectations.

Above applies to modern 210mm f5.6 Plasmat lenses..

Bernice

Maybe you got a bad example, it is not unnusual for lenses on the used market to have been disassembled by someone that doesn't know what they are doing. Mine is great. The sharp image circle matches the illumination circle which matches the diffusion box on my enlarger. Fantastic 16x20 prints from my lens [Fujinon 125 SW].
    No gymnastics to use the lens on Shen-Hao. Any perspective correction needed is performed during enlargement.

Previously discussed on LFF. Stopping here.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mm-experiences

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    What developing tank are you using?
    I’m using a Poilot (Chinese copy of a JOBO) 2550 tank and a Poilot reel. The reel is modular and can process 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. I modified a centre column to fit whole plate as well. I have been using inversion agitation but just got a hand roller base. These 8x10s were done with the roller.

Mostly I shoot in studio with field camera, sometimes 8X10 wide angle

I have to use a flashlight to find corners, no tilts

My APO Symmar 5.6/120 MC is very good at filling 8X10 in my studio, sharp tiny

but I sold the camera that did it easily, Kodak Master View 8x10: a review
    Tin Can

What a great start Vaughn. Congratulations!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What a great start Vaughn. Congratulations!
    Thanks!

My Shanghai GP3 whole plate film just arrived so IĀ’ll be doing more of that with the Rittreck View with extension back. IĀ’m waiting for an order of GP3 8x10 as well: I’d rather keep the Ilford stuff until I have more practice with the format.

A photo from the weekend. This wasn't my intended subject: there happened to be some kind of sporting event at the place I wanted to go, and all roads were banked up bumper-to-bumper for several kms. So I abandoned the plan, and spotted this while driving home. Crappy phone scan: my new macro lens arrived today, will be using that in the future.

Toyo 810MII, original Fujinon W 210mm f5.6 lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6449.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	230574