Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banff and Jasper in mid Sept. 2022

Re: Banff and Jasper in mid Sept. 2022

Peter McKinnon, The Bucket Shot (September 2018)
    Moraine Lake, Banff National Park
    Geology of Moraine Lakes

The "Large Format Lab" at 21:35 is probably part of Ed Burtynsky's Toronto Image Works.

Last edited by r.e.; 21-Aug-2022 at 13:42. Reason: Added the month.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Calgary commercial photographer Todd Korol, shooting just the other side of the mountains, fall 2020.
    Two weeks, 5x7, one lens, FP4+
    Shooting average: 4 sheets of FP4+ per day assuming two days of travel time.

Last edited by r.e.; 21-Aug-2022 at 13:10. Reason: Added sheets of FP4+ per day.

Peter McKinnon, "The internet is fuelled by narcissism, but the mountains won't remember who I am." (Banff, fall 2019)

Last edited by r.e.; 21-Aug-2022 at 15:13.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The "Large Format Lab" at 21:35 is probably part of Ed Burtynsky's Toronto Image Works

don't think it's TIW, the view outside the window is not crowded downtown Toronto with condos and buildings all around. It's on the second floor as well so definitely not looking like it. fwiw, they stopped processing film erlrier this year (or last). Toronto was chock full of great film labs (Steichen Lab, BGM and TIW etc...) and now they're gone. Camera stores are doing most of the lifting now.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    don't think it's TIW, the view outside the window is not crowded downtown Toronto with condos and buildings all around. It's on the second floor as well so definitely not looking like it. fwiw, they stopped processing film erlrier this year (or last). Toronto was chock full of great film labs (Steichen Lab, BGM and TIW etc...) and now they're gone. Camera stores are doing most of the lifting now.
    This was 2018. In any event, McKinnon was shooting digital. I'm sure that "Large Format Lab" on the door refers to large format digital printing, not large format film. Hence the shots of the printer right after. I'm curious who did the prints. TIW is a pretty good bet, but yes it could be someone else.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

One more question: The cruise to Spirit Island. I was tempted, but it seems not worth it to carry my tripod and 810 camera for 20 minutes stop there. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    One more question: The cruise to Spirit Island. I was tempted, but it seems not worth it to carry my tripod and 810 camera for 20 minutes stop there. Right?
    I don't think that I'd bother just to see Spirit Island, which is mostly notable for its aboriginal legend, but I'd consider going to see Maligne Lake. Internet sites say that it's the longest lake in the Canadian Rockies, and the second largest glacier fed lake in the world, next to one in Siberia. There are several YouTube videos showing the boat tour from beginning to end. From a photography perspective, what may be mostly of interest at Spirit Island is the view from the boat landing.

These people spent three days on the lake, travelling via a canoe outfitted with a trolling motor. They show the view from the Spirit Island landing from 7:40 to 10:00

Note that the docks themselves are on pontoons. However, as he shows in the video you can get to higher solid ground. Also, note that he says early on that Maligne Lake tends to get windy and choppy in the afternoon. Haven't watched them, but this guy appears to have several videos about Banff and Jasper on his channel.

If I were there, and money wasn't an issue, I'd be having a chat with one of the helicopter operations at Banff/Jasper (see 10:55 of Pete McKinnon's video in post 13 above). I imagine that they know some great photography sites that they can land at.

You've probably seen the Parks Canada site for Banff and Jasper, but if not here's the link for Jasper: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper

I would bring it if I were you. It is a short walk from the parking lot to the cruise loading dock, and it is also not far from the cruise loading dock to the best view point at the sprit island. You may not be able to take your shots at the best view point because many visitors take snap shots there, but you can choose a less crowded place. I brought my 4x5 camera, but I did not get any shots because of raining so hard on the day I visited.
    Sprit island is one of Kodak’s colorama displays. See the link below.

http://www.papytane.com/images/kodak31.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    You may not be able to take your shots at the best view point because many visitors take snap shots there, but you can choose a less crowded place.
    Watch where the guy in the video above (post #17) goes from 7:40 to 10:00.

It might be possible to arrange to go to Spirit Island on one tour boat, and return on the next. That would provide more time for photography, some of it without other people around, and the boats appear to be frequent enough that it might make sense to do it.

Best view point is around 9’50”.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Watch where the guy in the video above (post #17) goes from 7:40 to 10:00. He was there last summer, high season.