Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) MF Digital

New (to me) MF Digital

One of the first photos with my "new" Linhof M679 with Phase One P45+ 39MP back. I'll post a few more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray clouds w rain Mini.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	230198

250mm Fujinon f/6.3
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 19-Aug-2022 at 21:58.

Re: New (to me) MF Digital

Nice work, Jim. That sure looked like today!

It was today. Thanks

This one was a week ago - 150mm G-Claron.

Name:	BF Mini.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	230199

And this one - a day later it had opened up.

Name:	BF in Bloom Mini.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	230201

As was this one. Also with the 250mm Fujinon

Name:	Red Mini.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	230200

I would have liked to shoot the flowers from a closer viewpoint, but there's a slight slope covered with small stones, so it's not accessible in my power wheelchair. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    One of the first photos with my "new" Linhof M679 with Phase One P45+ 39MP back. I'll post a few more.

250mm Fujinon f/6.3
    What a great start!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks guys.

Very nice images.

I also have a (new to me) P45+ purchased about two years ago that I use with an Arca Swiss Metric 6x9 camera. A nice thing about both our kits is the option of creating images with either digital or with film. I use all film lenses, that include primarily Apo Symmar and Super-Angulon lenses. That said, I also have a 250mm f6.3 Fujinon.

I'm curious about your workflow? Do you focus using a ground glass, or do you carry a laptop for tethered composition and focus? (I focus using a ground glass.) For processing, I like converting in Capture One. I like some of the pre-conversion utilities like Structure and Clarity. But after doing some of these basics, I convert to a tiff and open the image in Camera Raw/Photoshop for most of my image manipulation. In particular, I prefer Adobe's color temperature utility over that of Capture One.

Very good!

Last time I saw Cacti bloom IRL was 1979

and I was on my no camera idiocy

only memories

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    It was today. Thanks

This one was a week ago - 150mm G-Claron.

Name:	BF Mini.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	230199

And this one - a day later it had opened up.

Name:	BF in Bloom Mini.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	230201

As was this one. Also with the 250mm Fujinon

Name:	Red Mini.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	230200

I would have liked to shoot the flowers from a closer viewpoint, but there's a slight slope covered with small stones, so it's not accessible in my power wheelchair. Frustrating.
    Tin Can

Jim, are you tethering with the P45+ or shooting to a CF card? The P+ backs work great when tethered, but I always found them more difficult to work with in the field when going untethered. The IQ backs added that nice touch screen, albeit at a higher price of entry. That M679 is a great camera too!

-Dan

I use a CF card. Not many Note PC's with Firewire lying around anymore. (Maybe on eBay...)

I have two ways of going about it - I got a Chinese Slider with groundglass (don't like it much but...) It lets you focus on the GG (using a dark cloth) and then slide the digiback into position. It came in Landscape mode but I took it apart and reassembled it so the back is in Portrait mode. It has 3 click stops so I can stitch three images to get about about an 72 x 49mm image. My camera is the original model so no rise and fall, but I can tilt the rail and straighten up the standards and (maybe) refocus a bit) and then take another 3 images so I'd have a full approx 8 x 8 image. In fact I can just level the camera, tilt the rail down a few degrees, straighten the standards, expose 3 tines, tilt the camera UP by the same number of degrees, straighten the standards again using the angle scales w base tilt and get the same effect with no re-focusing.

What I like about the slider is the fact that the sensor is not exposed as much to air, dust, etc. and it lets me stitch images. I also have the loupe for the regular GG back and I really like it for focussing but you have to remove it and put it somewhere and then remove the back and mount the P45+. Nicer for focusing but I don't like amount of sensor handling and needing a place to put the pieces down.

I also have the Linhof slider for Hasselblad so I can use it with myHassy backs.

I'm in process of designing a 4" x 4" back so I can use regular 4 x 5 film and holders. I have a complete Graflex back in excellent condition so I just need to fabricate an adapter - I got an extra lensboard to use as a base.

I want to use the camera with vintage lenses so I'm also working on an automated "2-shot" controller with a solenoid and a cable release so I can set exposure times for long exposures or just trigger the wake up and then fire a shutter if there is one.

The biggest issue I face is being in a power wheelchair. It makes it quite hard to carry anything like a camera and tripod anywhere because one hand is tied up driving the chair so only one hand left for carrying stuff. I have a full size Ford Transit high (9' 3") roof van fitted up to load and carry the wheelchair so I'm thinking about shooting from the side sliding door or from the wheelchair lift platform at the back of the van. (Sort of like St Ansel from the top of his woody wagon.) I'm also trying to rig the chair up so I can hang a Tenba case on the back. I can stand up and (sort of) walk a few feet so If I can drive the chair to where I want to shoot from with all the stuff handy I can set up and shoot.
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 22-Aug-2022 at 08:35.

One more

Name:	BRLIII Fnl S.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	230398