Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silvery Shine Schneider Center Filter III

Re: Silvery Shine Schneider Center Filter III

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    The variable density of a center filter, from center to edge, would need to be formulated on the basis of the specific fall-off characteristics of a given focal length...so be careful about using a single center filter for two different focal length lenses.
    Thanks for that, John! I will certainly consider that.

Just to reiterate, the goal here, is to utilize the more modern 82mm Center Filter IV (for the 120mm F8 SA), on the older 77mm 121mm F8 Norma Super Angulon. Will 1mm in lens focal length be a deal breaker? Also there is the thickness of the 82 to 77 step ring which could be a factor. BTW the 121mm F8 covers 18x24cm, but it's really pushing it for 8x10, you can start to see the corners. Right now I am preferring to shoot 18x24cm, I like the way it looks contacted on 8x10 paper, you get a nice black border just the right dimensions in the print.

Not trying to be obsessive, just the chances of finding a 77mm CFIV are slim
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Daniel thanks for clarifying...I'd thought you were wanting to use a single center-filter for a 90 plus a 120mm lens.

But your question regarding the 120 and 121mm lenses feels beyond my purview...as on one hand the theoretical falloff of these two lenses (which share the same basic design) should be about the same...and yet the filter diameters are so different.

I guess my next question would be...what about the actual diameters of the front and rear elements?
    Are they equal or at least close?

Then again...is there something about the more "modern" 120 which makes its center to edge dispersion characteristics different from that of the 121? But as these are both non-retrofocus lenses, how could this be?

Of course, there is always the potential issue of optical vignetting in cases of using step-down rings in general...but as for questions of potential differences of theoretical light falloff between otherwise similar focal length lenses of similar design but possibly different element diameters...somebody with more "optical chops" than myself needs to chime in here!

As Stanley Kubrick used to say, "Let's give it a go!" Well as soon as the adapter ring arrives.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

It's great if you can find and afford a CND filter that was designed specifically for your particular lens(es), but there are lots of lenses that can benefit from CND filters -- but do not have CND filters designed for them.

That does not mean you can't use CND filters. It simply means that you need to run some tests to determine if a particular CND filter works for your particular lens.

if the filters are vacuum metalized then oxidized to darken the back and prevent reflections off of the lens, a bit of metallic shine on the front wouldn't be unexpected, especially on stronger filters which would have a thicker metallic coating.