Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvery Shine Schneider Center Filter III

Silvery Shine Schneider Center Filter III

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

I received this Center Filter III today, and immediately I noticed it has a "silvery shine" when viewed from the front, at an angle, although it seems OK looking through the camera. My inclination is to return it, none of my other Center Filters behave this way. Anybody here know what's going on with this? Delamination or something else?

In this digishot I put it next to my Center Filter IV, which of course does not have the metallic shine. Thanks!

-Dan
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Silvery Shine Schneider Center Filter III

These CND filters are two element filters, so I suppose separation is possible.

I have several CND filters (Schneider, Heliopan and Zeiss Jena) and I can see the effect when some of the filters are viewed at certain angles in certain light.

I can't say that "it" has ever caused a problem in my results.

I suspect it is some sort of reflection of the balsam, but in my case it's so far off to the side I can't image it causing a problem.

Since you have one with and without, a simple test should be easy to do.

XKaes,

Thanks, Yep testing will prove the pudding. Wondering about light from the front "glaring out" a quick look through my shorty Norma with 75mm f5.6 Auto Iris Norma lens (looks great through the camera!) has been begging for a Center Filter. Not a bad deal at $358 from Japan but not if it causes backscatter in the results. Maybe Bob S can explain why this one is so different from my others? BTW I prefer all my stuff to be about the same vintage

Also I thought this filter IV would fit my 121mm F8 Norma Auto Iris lens. But the 121mm is smaller than the filter. So on we go. Also the 121mm is in a Copal Special Shutter. The Center Filter IV fits beautifully my 90mm f5.6 Norma Auto Iris barrel no shutter Super Angulon.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 18-Aug-2022 at 03:33.

― Mark Twain

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I suspect an unusual AR coating, but yes, Bob S. might now better.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    XKaes,

Thanks, Yep testing will prove the pudding. Wondering about light from the front "glaring out" a quick look through my shorty Norma with 75mm f5.6 Auto Iris Norma lens (looks great through the camera!) has been begging for a Center Filter. Not a bad deal at $358 from Japan but not if it causes backscatter in the results. Maybe Bob S can explain why this one is so different from my others? BTW I prefer all my stuff to be about the same vintage

Also I thought this filter III would fit my 121mm F8 Norma Auto Iris lens. But the 121mm is bigger than the filter. So on we go. Also the 121mm is in a Copal Special Shutter. The Center Filter IV fits beautifully my 90mm f5.6 Norma Auto Iris barrel no shutter Super Angulon.
    Sorry, never saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Sorry, never saw this.
    I've seen it before, but never paid any attention to it, because it only appears briefly at certain angles under certain light.

I will say that I've seen it in some EBAY auction pictures to some degree or another. Again, I just thought it a passing reflection at an odd angle.

I'll do a little more studying of mine and see if I can create a situation that intensifies the effect.

I have one behaving like this. Never had any real world problems with it.
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

That looks a lot like the silvery shine on the yellow center filters for the 6" Metrogon.

OK Thanks Everybody! I'll shoot some tests as soon as I have time. Also this CFIII will fit the 65mm f5.6 if I ever get one. Not too likely though cause I have three 65mm F8's

Another Center Filter Question:
    I did not realize there are TWO versions of the Center Filter IV. One is 82mm, for the 120 f8 and 90mm f5.6. The other is 77mm, for the 121mm. Therefore, I ordered a 82-77 step down ring, to use the 120mm F8 CFIV on my 121mm. Has anybody here ever done this combo? Another thing to test, better for me, than having to buy yet another center filter. I imagine it will work but we will see
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 18-Aug-2022 at 04:43.

― Mark Twain

The variable density of a center filter, from center to edge, would need to be formulated on the basis of the specific fall-off characteristics of a given focal length...so be careful about using a single center filter for two different focal length lenses.