Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Newcomer] How should I measure exposure for nighttime portraits?

[Newcomer] How should I measure exposure for nighttime portraits?

Last edited by marguerite; 19-Aug-2022 at 15:07.

Re: [Newcomer] How should I measure exposure for nighttime portraits?

Welcome to the FORUM. You'll get a lot of advice/suggestions, and it will be difficult to decide which to take. And please don't take any of it personally.

My first point is, if you take a reading of a shadow at midnight, it won't be anywhere close to 1/500 of a sec. On most meters you won't get a reading at all.

Where did you get this advice?

If you are doing portraits why not a meter reading of the facial skin and expose for Zone VI - or a bit less for darker skin - then let the rest fall where they may.

Do a few tests before you get going so you can hone in on exposure and don't fumble around with clients in front of your lens.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

For low-light photography, especially portraits, I would take the meter readings of the subject's face if you want that to appear well-exposed. Shadows will be too dark to serve any useful metering purpose. For nighttime and low-light situations, you can't use many of the metering "best-practices" that you would during the daytime. You want to meter off of your primary subject and work from there.
    You're likely going to have to shoot at slow speeds (a challenge for portraits unless you add some light to the subject) so be sure to compensate for reciprocity. Download the reciprocity chart for Portra.

Be reasonable

Perhaps approach by shooting in ever lessening light

and find your dream empirically

practice as I do with DIGI

then I shoot REAL film portraits

few have Polaroid/Fuji to test with, like days of old

Quote Originally Posted by marguerite View Post
    Thanks so much for the swift replies!

1. Noted that I should meter off of the subject's face. Looking at the Zone System, I see that Zone VI corresponds to "average caucasion skin value in sunlight." Given that I'm not shooting in sunlight, should I rather go for Zone V? If so, I don't need to adjust my exposure - right?

2. Could you please also give me ballpark aperture and shutter speed figures?

3. I might consider adding some light as you suggested Jim, although I'm trying to go for a natural look.

4. Finally, do I have to factor for bellows extension when taking portraits up-close? I haven't fully grasped the concept yet.

Can't wait to go out "in the field" and take my first LF shots. I'm doing a mock shoot with a friend tonight to try and nail this. Either way, it's a personal project so if I mess up that's fine as long as I'm learning
    Tin Can

Niels

I think there is a good deal of overthinking in your approach.
    It is great to have a vision but you have decided on a very difficult and costly first project.

My approach would be to get familiar with LF portraiture under more normal lighting conditions, perhaps with a cheaper emulsion, if you develop yourself, maybe B&W?
    Perhaps even dropping the idea of portraiture until you have the concept of exposure measurement reasonably under your skin.
    When you have a good grasp of portraiture in normal light under control, it is not that hard to extrapolate your knowledge to the more challenging night scenario.

Just my thoughts.
    ----
    Niels

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Use a flash!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Be reasonable

Perhaps approach by shooting in ever lessening light

and find your dream empirically

practice as I do with DIGI

then I shoot REAL film portraits

few have Polaroid/Fuji to test with, like days of old
    fantastic advice!

FYI
    when I was photographing on median strips and in parking lots that had 50 foot tall Sodium Vapor Lamps I used ISO 400 film. Even with 2-3 lights over head my exposures were 45 seconds f22.

Helmar Lerski,
    https://www.moma.org/artists/3493

Portraits are much more a lighting and sitter pose question than a exposure question with camera being the lowest on the list priorities..

Example of this Lerski portrait.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lerski head.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	230137

Hints of how the lighting was done are found in the eye catch lights. Look carefully at the eye catch lights notes the two hot lights and light stands are visible. Lighting position renders the bright "hot" lighted areas and where the shadows are falling on this face portrait.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lerski_notes.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	230138

If this is the kind of portraiture your goals are, get a few hot lights, light stands, a head model (like for whigg...s), table to set that head model on, back drop paper, spot light meter and a digital camera with a short telephoto lens for head shots. Then experiment with lighting, pose and discover the exposure compensation on that digital camera which will become your "friend" to figure out what exposures and much more might be. This is much about technique development and learning before trying any of this using any film camera. Highly recommend using a roll film camera first to learn the quirks, needs and ways of film before moving to a sheet film camera.. which is a steeper progression from using a roll film camera.

As for the 4x5 camera and lens current, head shots like these should be done with a longer than normal focal length lens _ typical about 240mm to 300mm. Typical field folder camera will not have enough bellows and camera extension to focus a head shot like these. Alternative to work with this camera limitation is to used a telephoto design view camera lens.. or make the camera choice driven by and based on the needs of the image goals (in this case tight head shot) and the lens required to achieve this. Difficulty with a 150mm lens on 4x5 for head shots like this, subject to lens/camera will be short. This makes lighting difficult to not possible... and having camera/lens that close to the portrait sitter can make the sitter uncomfortable... which alters_affects the expression captured from the portrait sitter. Adding to this problem with a 150mm lens, the field folder camera might not have enough camera/bellows extension to focus this close to the portrait sitter. Full length portrait, very likely no problem.

Bernice

This my 2 friends, I use them often for models

I am the guy

Studio lights, Instant Film 4X5 Fuji

Need new plan for this year

2021 Halloween by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can