Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a heads up for Intrepid shooters

a heads up for Intrepid shooters

one of my large format cameras is an Intrepid 4x5 black edition - I like it for when I am getting very far from the truck

I always got good images with it - and even though I mostly shoot a vintage 5x7 -I always take the Intrepid along when I am out and about (nothing stays in the truck long term)

a couple weeks ago I took a coupe shots with the Intrepid and the negatives where overexposed to black. I went out to do some test shots to see what was wrong and when switching lenses I notice the bellows seemed loose, when I touched them they fell away from the front standard

this has been a very hot summer here, as near as I can tell, the double stick tape that attaches the bellows had sort of melted - I replaced the tape and everything is good again.

so - if your Intrepid camera is in the heat much - you might make a habit of checking the contact of the bellows to the standard while mounting the lens
    " The man who invented the camera has a lot to answer for! " Hercule Poirot

Niels

Re: a heads up for Intrepid shooters

Thanks for the heads up. What kind of tape did you use?
    ----
    Niels

Niels

And from which part did the original tape separate? Did the tape remain attached to the bellows or?
    ----
    Niels

Suggestion, skip ala remove the tape used to attach the bellows to bellows frame, re-do with contact cement.

Using double stick tape is an Econo-ease production method..

Double stick tape comes a many varieties, from the stuff made for paper found at the local stationary store to 3m's VHB which was originally designed for structural applications replacing screws, rivets and...
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding-...5-550ad56945ce

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/design-c...2-f2a8077a025f

Typical bellows have irregular surfaces which does not stick/bond well with tape..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Suggestion, skip ala remove the tape used to attach the bellows to bellows frame, re-do with contact cement.

Bernice
    Double-stick tape? OMG!!! Do as Bernice recommends -- use contact cement.

Next thing, they'll be using bubble gum!!!

to answer the questions-

I used 3M double sided - I use it in woodworking and getting wood pieces apart is not easy
    the old tape lost contact with the standard - it was well stuck to the bellows for the most part

the original tape held for over two years (yeah, not that long really) - and I honestly think the recent heat that broke the bond

the tape redo is temporary but holding- i will make a jig to clamp the parts with epoxy when I figure out which one to use-

and xkaes - i raised two girls - don't under estimate the holding power of bubble gum - ever

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    and xkaes - i raised two girls - don't under estimate the holding power of bubble gum - ever
    I have two young grand nieces, and I would never under-estimate bubble gum's ability to glue strands of hair together -- for infinity. Even in Arizona heat.

Good luck with the epoxy!

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    I used 3M double sided - I use it in woodworking and getting wood pieces apart is not easy
    the old tape lost contact with the standard - it was well stuck to the bellows for the most part
    Thanks Rick.
    The reason for asking which surface the adhesive slipped from, is that the black Intrepid is 3D print material whereas the standard model is wood.
    It may be helpful to the Intrepid people if you feed back info about this issue, as they may need to reconsider their choice of adhesive on the black version if this turns out to be a common problem.
    ----
    Niels

Hmmm...double-stick tape, plus long bellows extensions or lots of lateral movements while compressed, plus heat, equals problems.

Definitely go with a good quality contact cement, and take your time to lay down thin but even layers...making sure to re-apply (prior to contact) if any of the bellows material's texture remains above the glue layer. Press together firmly and thoroughly, and then allow the assembly to rest without tension for at least 24 hours, and keep tension minimal to moderate for at least a week - after which you should be good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Hmmm...double-stick tape, plus long bellows extensions or lots of lateral movements while compressed, plus heat, equals problems.

Definitely go with a good quality contact cement, and take your time to lay down thin but even layers...making sure to re-apply (prior to contact) if any of the bellows material's texture remains above the glue layer. Press together firmly and thoroughly, and then allow the assembly to rest without tension for at least 24 hours, and keep tension minimal to moderate for at least a week - after which you should be good to go!
    Thanks - i do know how to use a contact cement (not that you should have known)- but your advice is well stated for someone who isn't and may run into this issue

the original recipe pilobond is my go to with my leather work and I have used it on vintage cameras. the "jig" I mentioned is to make sure I have even pressure for bellows to standard contact. Pliobond holds very well to rubber and wood as well as leather so I am hoping that it will bond to what ever the 3D printed material is