Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 4990 vs Nikon D850?

Re: Epson 4990 vs Nikon D850?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcateer View Post
    [Note: he uses a Fuji GFX 50, whereas I have a Nikon D850, so maybe I won't achieve quite the same quality he has.]
    The total megapixel count is close enough to be the same, but my guess is that the larger pixel pitch of the GFX would produce "cleaner" looking images. That said, nothing wrong with using your Nikon. Good luck and welcome to the rabbit hole!

I’ve been scanning for 20 years or so.
    “Camera scans” with a macro lens are significantly better for me. Canon RP, EF 50/2.5 macro, copy stand, LCD light panel, negative holder.

One frame prints well up to A2; easy to shoot four shots and join them in Photoshop if more resolution is needed.

I’m only shooting and digitising 4x5 Tri-X.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    The total megapixel count is close enough to be the same, but my guess is that the larger pixel pitch of the GFX would produce "cleaner" looking images. That said, nothing wrong with using your Nikon. Good luck and welcome to the rabbit hole!
    Yes — the pixel pitch thing had occurred to me but I think I'll give it a try and see how it turns out. I saw a video on YouTube which made the process look pretty straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    I’ve been scanning for 20 years or so.
    “Camera scans” with a macro lens are significantly better for me. Canon RP, EF 50/2.5 macro, copy stand, LCD light panel, negative holder.

One frame prints well up to A2; easy to shoot four shots and join them in Photoshop if more resolution is needed.

I’m only shooting and digitising 4x5 Tri-X.
    Thanks Hugh. I have most of the gear needed I think except the light panel. I think for Flickr purposes a single-shot with the D850 should suffice.

I've been scanning roll film with an A7rII & a Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar for a couple years now. Really quite pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcateer View Post
    UPDATE: I've been looking at digitized images on Flickr. One user there in particular has results that look to me much superior to my own flatbed scans. Example: https://flic.kr/p/2nBTVZi

I think I might give the DSLR method a go.

[Note: he uses a Fuji GFX 50, whereas I have a Nikon D850, so maybe I won't achieve quite the same quality he has.]
    I used to use a D810 and stitching for my digitisation, and got good results (~ 90 megapixels for 4x5). These days I use a Sony A7RIV and pixel-shift capture of the whole frame, which is faster and yields even better quality (~ 180 megapixels).

Have a look at my Flickr for examples. I upload the originals at quite a high resolution, so you can get a decent idea of what is possible:

https://flickr.com/photos/atomstitcher/

Here is a 51 megapixel resized version of a sheet of 4x5 TMX for example (captured with the A7RIV): https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8fa2b67f_o.jpg

i recently order 45F-2 and can't wait to scan negs with GFX100s pixel shift mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Sert View Post
    i recently order 45F-2 and can't wait to scan negs with GFX100s pixel shift mode.
    Don't forget to post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sert View Post
    You will be pleased with the results.

I have been using a Fuji GFX 100s for general photography and for digitizing film for the past year with pixel shifting. The results, with good technique and a high quality macro lens, are outstanding and eliminate the need for stitching even for very high image quality for all film formats up to 4X5 and even 5X7.

Digital features like pixel shifting and focus stacking have completely changed the way I approach both image capture and digitizing of my film archive.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    You will be pleased with the results.

I have been using a Fuji GFX 100s for general photography and for digitizing film for the past year with pixel shifting. The results, with good technique and a high quality macro lens, are outstanding and eliminate the need for stitching even for very high image quality for all film formats up to 4X5 and even 5X7.

Digital features like pixel shifting and focus stacking have completely changed the way I approach both image capture and digitizing of my film archive.

Sandy
    Who's going to spend $6000+ for this camera plus lens just to scan with? You and maybe ten other people.