Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner

Old Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner

I have the above scanner (it may be 10 years old) and it seems that the focus has gone soft. I have tried adjusting the feet pads to no avail.

I use the standard Epson driver. Does Silverfast or another software work better? would I be able to tweak the focus with Silverfast or other?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Kent

Re: Old Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner

The Epson V700 is a fixed focus lens scanner with two different lens that are positioned at fixed position depending on whether you choose focus area or film holder. When you choose focus area the position of best focus is directly on the glass, with holder the position of best focus is about 2-4 mm above the glass.

The standard Epson driver should work just as well as any other with the Epson V700. If the focus is really soft as you mention it is highly unlikely that the scanner will give sharper results with another software. People often prefer for one reason or another software such as Silverfast or Vuescan to the Epson software, but in terms of sharpness there should be no difference.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The Epson V700 is a fixed focus lens scanner with two different lens that are positioned at fixed position depending on whether you choose focus area or film holder. When you choose focus area the position of best focus is directly on the glass, with holder the position of best focus is about 2-4 mm above the glass.

The standard Epson driver should work just as well as any other with the Epson V700. If the focus is really soft as you mention it is highly unlikely that the scanner will give sharper results with another software. People often prefer for one reason or another software such as Silverfast or Vuescan to the Epson software, but in terms of sharpness there should be no difference.

Sandy

Thank you so much for that - maybe I'm getting more critical (or asking for more perfection) in my old age! Are you the Sandy King of carbon transfer fame?

Kent

Your post is confusing.

I'm assuming from it that you just bought a ten year old scanner and using it for the first time. Scans are very soft and required a lot of sharpening. Different programs do not scan better than others. Each program allows sharpening during the scan or will scan without it reserving sharpening for after the scan with your image editing program which is what I do.

If on the other hand, your meant that you had been using this scanner for ten years and suddenly the sharpening went too soft, then you could have a scanner problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kentrush View Post
    Thank you so much for that - maybe I'm getting more critical (or asking for more perfection) in my old age! Are you the Sandy King of carbon transfer fame?

Kent
    Yes, I am Sandy King, and a long time carbon printer.

BTW, I have owned and used an Epson V700 since about 2007, bought mine refurbished from Epson.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Your post is confusing.

I'm assuming from it that you just bought a ten year old scanner and using it for the first time. Scans are very soft and required a lot of sharpening. Different programs do not scan better than others. Each program allows sharpening during the scan or will scan without it reserving sharpening for after the scan with your image editing program which is what I do.

If on the other hand, your meant that you had been using this scanner for ten years and suddenly the sharpening went too soft, then you could have a scanner problem.

yes, it seems to me the scans are not as sharp as they used to be! But maybe my expectations have become more acute!

Sandy,

I did a bunch of carbon transfer printing a while back when I could not use my printing press. I used your incredible instructions and had excellent results - thanks for your great instructions and your dedication to the process!

I use my press to print collotypes, both traditional home-made gelatin matrices and using sheet film as the matrix.

Kent Rush

Nice to catch-up Sandy King, I too have the V 700. Since upgrading to a new I Mac 24" M Chip model I am not able to access the V-700 with any thing I have tried or learned from the internet. Any experience or wisdom you can offer would be appreciated. SS

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com