Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide angle lens on folded-up Master Technika

Re: Wide angle lens on folded-up Master Technika

Thank you very much to all for helpful contribution and ideas!

Now I am pretty convinced about the possibility to utilise a wide-angle excellent lens disregarding the fold-up capability to host it in Technika body.

I know that changing a lens in LF field camera is much different from 35mm reflex... Cams, infinity stops, huge boards... Anyway when trekking I never bring several lens, I decide in advance depending on my "mood" and, mainly, on landscape and weather characteristics.

Just to recap: disregarding the fold-up internal hosting capability which is your suggested true wide-angle for Master Technika? I mean the sharpest and, with color film, the more natural and realistic according to your tastes?

Thanks again for very interesting help!

Quote Originally Posted by Guglielmo View Post
    Thank you very much to all for helpful contribution and ideas!

Now I am pretty convinced about the possibility to utilise a wide-angle excellent lens disregarding the fold-up capability to host it in Technika body.

I know that changing a lens in LF field camera is much different from 35mm reflex... Cams, infinity stops, huge boards... Anyway when trekking I never bring several lens, I decide in advance depending on my "mood" and, mainly, on landscape and weather characteristics.

Just to recap: disregarding the fold-up internal hosting capability which is your suggested true wide-angle for Master Technika? I mean the sharpest and, with color film, the more natural and realistic according to your tastes?

Thanks again for very interesting help!
    90mm 4.5 or 6.8 Grandagon N

schneider angulon 90mm 6.8 should fit

Quote Originally Posted by nobrains View Post
    schneider angulon 90mm 6.8 should fit
    But it is a lens for 9x12cm and doesn’t fully cover 45. Especially if you want to use movements.

The multicoated one with the center filter and the barn door ...

Lens is the lesser issues here, hand held image making is.

Consider the shutter speed used for a lens taking aperture of f16_f22 (exception being Rodenstock35mm, 45mm, 55mm APO grandgon which is optimized for f11 or Zeiss Biogon optically GOOD at f4.5) which is where modern wide angle lenses are optimized for?
    Yes, the 90mm f4.5 Grandagon is good. Used this lens extensively for about three decades and to this day for 4x5 & 5x7. There are equally good 90mm lenses from Nikkor (90mm f4.5 sw), Schneider (90mm f5.6 Super Angulon), Fujinon (90mm f5.6 SWD).. They are much identical in optical performance at f16_f22.

Know these are NOT small lenses or light weight lenses..

The f8 version of these lenses are also more similar than different with the exception of the 90mm f8 sw Nikkor which has a larger image circle than the others at f22.

Then into older wide angle designs like the Schneider 90mm f6.8 Angulon.. Regardless of what is posted to the web and folks that TooT about how this lens "covers" 4x5.. not quite and just barely at f22..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schneider Angulon data.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	229875

Other older wide angle lenses would be Goerz wide angle Dagor, Kodak wide field Ektar and others.. None will properly cover 4x5 at full aperture for a focal length that is considered wide angle on 4x5, all must be stopped down to f16 and smaller to cover (maybe) and have proper optical performance.

Then comes the question of camera movement using a hand held press camera ala Linhof Technika.. Not gonna work too well. This combined with the need for slow shutter speeds due to the need for lens apertures of f16 or smaller does not mix well with a hand held 4x5... regardless of brand or hand held camera type.

Difficulty here is trying to impose the habits and ways of using a box camera with a fixed lens and image recorder means (film or digital) to a sheet film camera which is inherently different than the fixed lens box camera.

And if a lens shorter ala wider than a 90mm is used on the Linhof Technika, one will discover an entire world of less than pleasant camera difficulties, from dropping the bed to recessed lens boards to the Linhof wide angle focusing device needed on some variants of the Technika.. Technika is not the ideal camera for wide angle lenses.. 90mm on 4x5 would have the least problems on the Technika.

Bernice

Way back when these cameras were first conceived wouldn’t flash have been used handheld?
    Tin Can

Ala Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic and... yes indeediee..
    First up was the flash bulb gun with a bag full of flash bulbs, then came the Graflex 200 watt/second "portable" electronic strobe unit.
    Page 6:
    https://ghq.graflex.org/GHQ-13-1.pdf

This was how press photographers did "zone focus" achieving f16 or so..
    Add a few grafmatic film holders.. to ease issues of multi sheet film needs.

Eventually 120 roll film began to replace the 4x5 hand held press camera, then 35mm, then digital, then mobile phone cameras..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Way back when these cameras were first conceived wouldn’t flash have been used handheld?

Great link, I never saw before

This tidbit also interesting

"One Circuit printing frame 8" x 6 feet"

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Ala Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic and... yes indeediee..
    First up was the flash bulb gun with a bag full of flash bulbs, then came the Graflex 200 watt/second "portable" electronic strobe unit.
    Page 6:
    https://ghq.graflex.org/GHQ-13-1.pdf

This was how press photographers did "zone focus" achieving f16 or so..
    Add a few grafmatic film holders.. to ease issues of multi sheet film needs.

Eventually 120 roll film began to replace the 4x5 hand held press camera, then 35mm, then digital, then mobile phone cameras..

Bernice
    Tin Can

My Schneider 80mm f/4.5 Super-Symmar XL on a Linhof recessed board fits inside the Master Technika without caps or center filter.