Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide angle lens on folded-up Master Technika

Question Wide angle lens on folded-up Master Technika

Hi to all.

I realised that some time ago this topic has been already discussed but please I would be updated about the following:

which are the modern wide-angle lens which may be fitted to Linhof Master Technika with folded-up lid? I shoot mainly hand-held with viewfinder focusing so this is important to easy carry the camera in my backpack.

Thank you for kind helpful suggestions!

Guglielmo

Re: Wide angle lens on folded-up Master Technika

None

Thanks Bob!

Nevertheless I read somewhere that the 8/90 Nikkor SW onto Linhof recessed board may be hosted inside camera...

Did you know about it?

The Zeiss 135mm Planar just fits inside (on a special lensboard to help it to do so) so I would suggest searching to see if anything is of a similar or smaller dimension...

With the camera closed up, you have ~41mm of space in front of the lens board before you hit the focus cam, and ~ 35mm behind the lens board before you hit the ground glass...

This gives you a total of 76mm or less... the 8/90 Nikkor SW is listed as 71mm in size so it has potential if it is less than 41mm on the longest side...

If you add push on lens cap thickness that sounds really close even with a special recessed board.

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    The Zeiss 135mm Planar just fits inside (on a special lensboard to help it to do so) so I would suggest searching to see if anything is of a similar or smaller dimension...

With the camera closed up, you have ~41mm of space in front of the lens board before you hit the focus cam, and ~ 35mm behind the lens board before you hit the ground glass...

This gives you a total of 76mm or less... the 8/90 Nikkor SW is listed as 71mm in size so it has potential if it is less than 41mm on the longest side...
    That’s not a wide angle lens. Plus the front diameter of the lens has to be smaller then the hole in the front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That’s not a wide angle lens. Plus the front diameter of the lens has to be smaller then the hole in the front standard.
    True, I just use the 135mm as a baseline for what can fit and most wides have will have larger diameter ends... May have to just use the old-fashioned Angulon or a contemporary wide field Ektar or Wollensak WA...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Seems a shame to base your choice this way rather then which lenses are the stellar performers.
    After all, regardless of how the lens is stored, you still have to open the camera, maybe drop the bed - which means removing and reinstalling the cam, pull the lens standard out to the infinity stops.
    Simply clipping a lens board on is the quickest part of the setup.
    I intentionally didn’t mention pulling caps and checking and removing dust or adding filters.

In my opinion, it is ok to pay attention to the size of the lenses. The Technika is a very good place to store lenses.

This being said, when hiking I am happy not to have to reach extra into my backpack. I have the film holders in a side pocket. The light meter hangs around the neck with the magnifying glass. Now what's the point of putting the backpack down to take out a lens that can fall on the ground?

There are excellent mini performers. There is the very good Fujinon 5.6/105 NW with 46mm filter thread and EBC coating, but small image circle. The Fujinon 5.6/125 NW is one of my sharpest lenses. I took the best pictures with it. In the 35mm range, that would be a focal length of about 35mm. The Fujinon 5.6/135 NW is already a very good standard lens.

The simple Angulon 6.8/90 is also very good, but you have to stop that down to f32, and it has the smallest image circle of all. I haven't tried the Kodak Wide Field Ektar 6.7/100, which is supposed to be very sharp. I am put off by the old shutter speeds on it. Is it possible to put this lens in a more modern Copal 0?

About the Fujinon SW 8/90: this is also excellent, but larger. Sometimes you can use the lenses in reverse. With the front lens facing the ground glass. Then the Technika can be closed. Maybe that helps?

There is still the old venerable Super-Angulon 8/75. This is very small, it sits in a Copal 0 and has a very small front diameter. It's also shorter than the Fujinon SW 8/90, but it doesn't have the EBC coating, and the camera base sticks out into the frame in portrait mode. Furthermore, the image circle is small here as well.

If I happen to have a lens mounted to a camera during transport...I am very careful not to assess a potential location based on that particular lens - unless its the only lens I have with me at the time.