Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 holder depth to septum

Re: 5x7 holder depth to septum

Lots of good information for you in these posts. My two cents will address another question you had. I work with measuring tools every day and can tell you as has been stated before that it is really difficult to measure accurately. But if your tools are off… the depth gauge on your calipers can be checked with the inside/outside jaws for zero by setting the calipers to zero. (clean the jaws by putting pressure on a piece of paper, then slide it out and set to zero) If you have a flat piece of metal, a metal rule will be close enough then you can put the tail of your calipers flat on it and try to move your calipers if they move, read the number. Do it again until you can get consistent results. If your calipers read anything, then that is the error and you can always add that amount to what ever depth you are trying to measure. If they rock on the depth pin then the error is in the other direction and can be fixed.

If you want to check if your caliper jaws to see if they measure the same close to the handle and far out at the end, take a round rod and measure both places using more and less pressure. If you get the same number with light pressure as you do with more pressure in both places then your calipers are at least consistent. Sometimes a little slop when measuring close to the outer edge can be adjusted with two screws on the opposite side of the housing, But, if you tighten them too much then the calipers will bind and be difficult to use. Anyway, I have had Many sets of calipers over the years of prestigious brands and otherwise and some were out and some were not, but you can usually do ok if you know the error….sort of like a LF shutter….

Once again thanks to everyone for your replies and the great advice therein. The breadth of knowledge and expertise on this forum is remarkable.

I realise now I wasn't measuring even remotely properly, the inner edge of the face (flange) of the holder must have flex, or even been angled slghtly in.

Taking the advice to start with a straight edge across the holder I used the hefty 'handle' of an engineer's 12" stainless steel square and measured down from that.

Hurrah! All my holders are within the tolerances, so I think I can assume that the calipers are also more or less accurate (although that's probably a contradiction in terms!)

Good to hear!
    Tin Can

Aspiring LF photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Given all that research, John, and since you as well as Bill Maxwell are still around and kicking, how about finally putting your L-45A into production? I'd be one definite customer.
    I had the same thought/question when I Googled and found pictures of the L-45. What a beautiful and elegant design. It should be in the hands of more people.

Tin Can