Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom lens caps?

Re: Custom lens caps?

I made a few of them last week for my lens who needed it...
    I used 1mm cardboard in two layers, wood-glue (vinylic i think) and black fabric for the look... I shaped them directly on the lenses and they fit perfectly. The technic was more or less the same as in the link above (except i didn't used leather).

I make mine out of 3mm Baltic Birch plywood using a laser cutter. If you don't own a laser, find a MakerPlace and join or find someone to do the job. The caps are very easy to make and if you are good at measuring, they are a perfect fit. I make two rings and a cover and then glue the rings. Then sand the rings to fit and lastly glue the cover in place. OK, they are not original but still look good to me and the cost of the material is very little and they are fast to create.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LENS CAP.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	230606

A rant: why are so many newer (and, come to think of it, some not so new) lens caps so darn thin that a mild finger-push in the middle is enough to make contact with a front element? Two very expensive lenses that I'd recently acquired - one being a 110XL and the other a 210 Apo Sironar-S, came supplied with such (thin) caps - and I immediately trashed these caps and replaced them with metal screw-in caps, neither of which have, thus far, shown any tendency towards binding/seizing on these lenses.

At any rate...there is absolutely no excuse...zero...for manufacturers of otherwise first-rate LF lenses to have supplied them with such flimsy caps!

Check ouit YouTube videos on how to make your own.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!