Thread: Zone VI antique enlarger head

Zone VI antique enlarger head

I have a first generation, Zone IV, variable contrast, enlarger head and controller. The first generation was unimaginably slow or dim. I managed to adjust my expectations, but exposure times, depending on contrast setting, can be up 10x normal, even only stopped down one setting on a Rodenstock 150 f5.6. However, twenty years later, the thing works flawlessly. I wish Fred were still around. Anyway, I've been eyeing LED light sources with tremendous envy. I've downloaded a couple great designs and build instructions, but they all require basically throwing away the entire Zone IV system. If that's what it takes, so be it. The DIY LED designs are well within my electronic and fabrication skills, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with upgrading the Zone IV unit. If not, I'm about to put together a parts list for the new system. The system I have works beautifully, but the speed is costing me too much drinking time. Also, I'd appreciate anyone citing their preferred DIY designs for such a project.

Re: Zone IV antique enlarger head

Zone VI VC, I believe, was coldlight. A friend built me an LED system to replace my Zone VI (round) coldlight head and compensating enlarging timer. The fluorescent tubes are still available from Aristo, but the rest of the unit was surely nearing end-of-lifespan; the writing was on the wall. My new head is about the same brightness as the coldlight. I'm just waiting for the enclosure for the controller to be 3-D printed, as the head was. I have been using it for a couple of months and am very happy with it. It's based on the design published here by elgatosuizo, but just for B&W, and it has an adjustable dry-down compensation dial built-in.

If the Aristo route doesn't provide a solution for you, I would think that you could go LED in the housing. we had to work out a number of little issues along the way. The biggest challenge was light-evenness for full-frame 4x5, which we solved to my satisfaction. The Heiland model is probably better, but I don't drive a Mercedes, either (and not because it wouldn't be nice).
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'm wondering whether the variable contrast filtration system will behave differently with light sources of different color temperatures?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I can only speak for mine, which uses a 16x16-LED RGB panel. With the aid of a borrowed 21-step Stouffer transmission wedge and guidance from here, I was able to find a balance of RGB that gives an unfiltered Grade 2. I use Ilford sub-lens filters for contrast control.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I modified my Zone VI enlarger to accept the Modern Enlarger lamp variable LED light source.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	led light source.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	229784

Re: Zone VI antique enlarger head

I believe Richard Ritter is the one who designed that enlarger, or at least was at Zone VI when it was designed. If anyone knows the details of how it works and if upgrading is possible, I would imagine it would be him.