Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Question

Film Question

I'm thinking could probably stand picking up a fresh box of 8x10.
    Kodak has long been above my pay grade.
    I have a few boxes of Ilford in the freezer for special projects.
    One shelf is full of various ortho and xray films (basically just for playing around.)
    My most used film of late has been Arista.edu Ultra (Fomapan) and I was thinking of picking up another box
    however Bergger Panchro is the same price at Freestyle ($5/sheet) so I was thinking maybe I should give it a try.
    So I wanted to ask here about your thoughts on any differences between Arista .eduUltra and Bergger Panchro.
    What is your preference, and why? Any recommended developers for either emulsion? I'm nearly out of D-76.
    I do nearly all my printing on Fomabrom N111 if that makes a difference
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: Film Question

With all the defects I encountered with Foma/Arista 200 sheets, it wasn't cheap at all - only about a 50% keeper rate at best. Shoot the same shot twice and hope that one of the sheets isn't scratched or has coating zits. The 400 speed product didn't have the same issues, but sure didn't impress me either. I've settled on FP4 or HP5 as my "economy" film choices, at least in comparison to TMax pricing. I haven't used D76 in a long time; it works with nearly every film OK, but doesn't provide that something extra special which pyro formulas do. I'm not exactly sure what Bergger Panchro is, but it's rumored to be more of the same - rebadged Foma, so I doubt I'll ever even try it. Complaints abound. 8x10 photography is just too much work to gamble on film quality. But I'm sure glad I put a good stash of 8x10 film in the freezer when it was a lot more affordable than now.

Thanks Drew!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Bergger Panchro is not available at this time, I have been trying to acquire some fro a long time. When I spoke with Freestyle a couple time's, said they have no idea when it will be available. Spoke with the supposed U.S. distributor, has no idea. As in the past Berrger films can be quite lovely but they are not plug and play type films, you have to really learn them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...I'm not exactly sure what Bergger Panchro is, but it's rumored to be more of the same - rebadged Foma...
    Incorrect. It has nothing to do with Foma. Coated by Inoviscoat (or whatever Inoviscoat is operating as today) and packaged elsewhere, likely by HARMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Bergger Panchro is not available at this time...
    Four boxes in stock and waiting to be ordered:

Sal, I have see it available in limited quantities in Germany. I spoke with them a while back when two boxes were available and was told it may take six weeks to arrive in the U.S.
    Since John is just considering trying it I didn't mention Fotoimpex. I have no idea what customs duty might be on film from Germany, do you have any idea?
    Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Sal, I have see it available in limited quantities in Germany. I spoke with them a while back when two boxes were available and was told it may take six weeks to arrive in the U.S.
    Since John is just considering trying it I didn't mention Fotoimpex. I have no idea what customs duty might be on film from Germany, do you have any idea?
    Thanks!
    Until very recently, FOTOIMPEX shipping to my door was taking two weeks or less. I never paid customs duty on film included in my orders. Then, over on PHOTRIO, Mirko announced that FOTOIMPEX orders to the U.S. would henceforth be shipped via DHL express (rather than surface), since the "COVID surcharge" no longer applied to that premium service while it still does to the slower method. Shipping cost, he explained, would be the same, and packages should arrive within two days:

Sal, Thank you so much for that information, I missed it.

I've read many comments regarding the quality control of Foma films, but over the years I've shot quite a bit of Foma 100 in both 4x5 and 8x10 and I've never personally had any issues. Don't know what the pricing works out to be nowadays, but I always ordered my 8x10 film from Fotoimpex; even with shipping the total cost was significantly less than, say, Freestyle. To keep costs as low as possible, I always order a few boxes and store in the freezer.