Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faulty Light Meter

Faulty Light Meter

I think I am answering on my own question but just want to check you guys. I have a sekonic L-478dr-U with a view finder. I don't trust the readings.

I am i Japan and it is very very hot clear bright days, I thought one way to try (maybe not perfect using) is to use the sunny 16 rule. I put a grey card against a white wall with direct sunshine and no shadows, the reading comes out at 15th. at f16 125 ISO (a reflective meter reading from camera to the wall using sekonic L-308 shows 250th). Surely this is too much difference?

I shot with a bronica last week using the L-308 at F8 400 ISO, everything was 500th/1000th. The spot meter I use for my 5x4 camera but I just don't trust the readings. I suppose I should do some test shots first but do you think I need to?

Much appreciated for any advice given
    Last edited by Borris63; 31-Jul-2022 at 22:43.

Niels

Re: Faulty Light Meter

Agree. The 1/15 F16 at 125ISO off a gray card in direct sunshine is wrong.

No need to do test shots. You know sunny 16 so you know the L-478 is way off.

The L-308 readings sounds more in line with expectations.
    If you want a second opinion, then how about installing a lightmeter app (if you have a smartphone)?
    ----
    Niels

Have you contacted Sekonic if they perform testing/service of this meter???

Steve K

thank you Niels, Steve for replies, I bought from Amazon UK 3 years ago but will contact Sekonic in Japan. Hopefully they can repair. I have noticed though in the info button it shows the measuring mode as incident not reflective. Online manual states you can change between the two with the lumisphere. But I have the viewfinder attachment and I can only see one way to attach it, which it then puts at incident measurement. Thanks Andy

Computer meters are pretty complicated, in fact they even list "Measured Value Does Not Look Correct" in the troubleshooting section. I have never seen that before in a Sekonic manual.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 8.36.36 AM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	229660

Thank you, yes very strange. I have spoken with Sekonic and they will check and repair, mind you in Japan repair will be half of a cost of a new one.

Have you replaced the battery? Try a new one before you send it off - and clean the contacts for it before you install it. Maybe... it is that simple?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

That is an incident meter not a spot meter - you are not metering off a gray card. You are metering the light at the subject with the lumisphere pointed to the camera.
    Check that the +/- stops offset is set to zero and not 2. Check the EV measure. Sunny 16 implies an EV of 15, maybe 14 or 16 depending where you live.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    That is an incident meter not a spot meter - you are not metering off a gray card. You are metering the light at the subject with the lumisphere pointed to the camera.
    Check that the +/- stops offset is set to zero and not 2. Check the EV measure. Sunny 16 implies an EV of 15, maybe 14 or 16 depending where you live.
    OP states that he has the viewfinder for it.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iewfinder.html
    ----
    Niels

Yes saw that it might be that but unfortunately didn't change, I have sent off now though. Thanks Andy