Thread: Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar Lens History?

Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar Lens History?

Hi, I have been seeing some Schneider Goerz Red Dot lenses for ultra large format (30 in, 35 in, and 47.5 in). I am not aware of how and why these lenses are Schneider? I seem to recall that Schneider may have purchased Goerz about 30 years ago or so, but I am not certain about that.

Does anyone know the history and back story on the Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar lenses?

I have been digging around and have not found anything useful yet and I am hopeful someone here will know the story.

Thank you.

Re: Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar Lens History?

Here's how I understand it; Schneider purchased the Goerz name in the early 1970s. They kept the Artar lenses and discontinued their (very similar) Repro-Claron line. They also made various Dagors in the 1970s and 1980s, some actually manufactured by Kern in Switzerland. They were still advertising "Apo-Artar" lenses (no red dot) in glossy magazine ads during the early 1990s ("the best lens for photographing jewelry" as I recall). Which focal lengths were made, how many and for how long? I don't know. But there are certainly more knowledgable people than me on this forum... perhaps they'll share.

Re: Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar Lens History?

Thank you Mark. That definitely helps.

Maybe others with some additional insight will share.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Here's how I understand it; Schneider purchased the Goerz name in the early 1970s. They kept the Artar lenses and discontinued their (very similar) Repro-Claron line. They also made various Dagors in the 1970s and 1980s, some actually manufactured by Kern in Switzerland. They were still advertising "Apo-Artar" lenses (no red dot) in glossy magazine ads during the early 1990s ("the best lens for photographing jewelry" as I recall). Which focal lengths were made, how many and for how long? I don't know. But there are certainly more knowledgable people than me on this forum... perhaps they'll share.