Thread: Help - Double Image/Ghosting on Graflex

Help - Double Image/Ghosting on Graflex

I just got a 3x4 RB Auto Graflex. I took a test shot with it in my home - a close up - all seemed fine.

Then today I took it out to take a portrait and I experienced something odd - a subtle "double vision" like effect while looking through the rangefinder. I'll try to be as specific as possible in hopes to find a solution.

When I experience the effect, I was looking down about to take a portrait. My subject was about 7-8 feet away. There was the standard clear image in the rangefinder, and then there was also a fait double of my subject just a cm or so up and a tad to the side, creating a sort of double vision effect. Weirdly, it didn't seem like the entire image was doubled, only what was in my focal range of 7-8 feet.

Later today I tried to recreate the problem at home. Sure enough, focusing on things close up or far away, I don't have this problem. However, when my focal distance is around 7-8 feet, the problem returns. The further I move my focal point away from that distance, the more the problem blurs away (in tandem the lens's blurred rendering when 7-8 feet is out of focus). I took a photo down the viewfinder to try and illustrate the problem, although it was hard to photograph down the Graflex. Attaching the images here. I focused on the banister, and you should be able to see a slight double of the highlight on the top of it. I have circled it in the second image.

Is this a pinhole leak? A problem with the mirror? I've never experienced anything like. I won't be able to develop images from this camera for several weeks since I am traveling right now. But I hope to solve the problem as soon as possible, since I'd like to continue shooting during this trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6069 copy.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	229541

Name:	IMG_6069.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	229542

Re: Help - Double Image/Ghosting on Graflex

Hmm. Your camera should have first surface mirror. Silvered side faces the rear of the lens and ground glass. It may have been replaced by a second surface mirror, in which case you'll get a bright image from the silvered rear side and a fainter image from the plain glass front. Might affect focusing, shouldn't affect images on film otherwise.

The Auto Graflex does not have a rangefinder, it is a single-lens-reflex camera system using a mirror between the lens and the groundglass screen. Chances are that all you are seeing is a slight double image in the highlights due to a rear surface mirror being used in the camera -- the slight double image is a reflection from the front of the glass. It is not a light leak. If the mirror and and groundglass are original then your images should be sharp and will not display any double image in the actual shots. Keep shooting...

Name:	graflex4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	229544

Oops, didn't mean to say rangefinder! Thanks. I'm familiar with the general inner constrcution of the camera, but not how a different mirror might work or affect the image.

@djdister, so if that's the case, I should trust the main image I am seeing re framing and focusing and assume that the slight doubling will not show up on my film at all?
    Last edited by AidanAvery; 27-Jul-2022 at 21:52.

Ian Martin

Good question! If you have a spare ground glass the size of the film, you could hold that at the correct distance from the back of the camera (whatever the 3x4 filmholder T-distance is) and see what image is projected onto it.
    This is most easily done using a pack film adapter and an old film pack to set the correct distance. Disassemble the film pack so that just the front face with the ~3x4 cutout is remaining. Slap the ground glass behind that and you’ll have a relatively good look at what will be on any film you expose.
    You can also use that method to adjust the focusing screen shims if you have any doubts on critical focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanAvery View Post

@djdister, so if that's the case, I should trust the main image I am seeing re framing and focusing and assume that the slight doubling will not show up on my film at all?
    Yes, trust the main image you see for focusing. Guarantee the ghost image will not be on the film. And only worry about the "is it a rear or front surface mirror?" issue if the shots on film are consistently out of focus. Folks in the Graflex forum have indicated having both front and rear surface mirrors in various Graflex models from different years.

A warning to any Graflex user

Don't test the high speed curtain settings

I suspect too many love the sound of it

Then cry when it goes flap flap flap

My 34 is the only one that still works
    Tin Can

To check a front surface mirror just put a finger or pencil eraser on the mirror, if there is a gap between the image and object then it's not a front surface mirror.

ive had first surface mirror that isnt coated or painted on the back so it may be the first surface was installed wrong.

then ive seen diyers substatute regular mirror for first surface mirror while fixing up old cameras.

best way to find out is check the mirror as the above post sugested, or do a quick film plane test to see if the images are actually in focus.