Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Portable Solution to Make Overhead (90°) Photographs

Re: Portable Solution to Make Overhead (90°) Photographs

Photos of the FLM QR clamp that @Ari sent from Ottawa (FLM QLB 80).

Perfect fit for the 80mm diameter discs on the Gitzo centre column/lateral arm. The lever clears the disc, and the knob at the bottom centre in the photo, used to adjust to Arca-Swiss plate width, overlaps the disc but doesn't touch it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLM.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	229807

Much lighter and far more compact than the Manfrotto 410 Geared Pan and Tilt Head on the left in this photo of my ground tripod with the FLM clamp, and places a very small load on the Gitzo centre column/lateral arm:

Name:	FLM 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	229808

My RRS ground tripod plate, like the Gitzo centre column discs, is 80mm in diameter. The threaded 3/8" and 1/4" sockets in the FLM clamp will come in handy, such as for mounting this articulating arm (Bright Tangerine Titan Arm) that has many uses. Here, the Titan Arm's 3/8" stud is screwed into one of the FLM clamp's 3/8" sockets. The top plate of my Gitzo Series 3 tripod is also 80mm in diameter.

Name:	FLM 2 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	229809
    Last edited by r.e.; 6-Aug-2022 at 15:17.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

The FLM Quick Release clamp is one solution to connecting the Gitzo centre column/lateral arm to my Leica, but there's another option I have that would work for both the Leica and my 4x5. It's what Gitzo calls a Panoramic Disc. B&H says that it's discontinued, but Gitzo still shows it on its website. This is Gitzo's description:

"The Gitzo GS3750D Panoramic Disc is a head accessory that attaches to the top of a Gitzo Systematic Leveling Base, or on top or underneath a head to add a panning axis. It can also be fixed directly to the top of Gitzo tripod columns to replace the tripod’s upper disc. The GS3750D is a clever way of creating an independently-controlled, graduated panning axis for your equipment. It has a built-in bubble level.

"This model is carefully built of strong and durable, lightweight magnesium, weighs 0.21kg and secures a payload of 12 Kg.

"The 3/8” thread and the included 1/4”-3/8” screw adapter allow this panoramic disc to be attached to various tripods, heads, and other supports."

Name:	Ggitzo s3750d-top.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	229815

Bottom

Name:	Gitzo GS3750D bottom.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	229816

Before I started using a fluid head with my 4x5, I mostly used Gitzo's levelling base (post #50 just above) and this disc. What's attractive about the Panoramic Disc is that the panning function would make it easier than rotating the whole centre column to fine-tune the orientation of the camera lens. The FLM clamp weighs 120g plus a bit for the camera plate, the Disc weighs 210g. They are both way lighter and more compact than a Manfrotto Geared Head.

Lots of options to try over the next couple of days
    Last edited by r.e.; 7-Aug-2022 at 06:38.

I often add SINAR tilt head on top of 100 mm FLM ball

It adds panorama and downward dog
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I often add SINAR tilt head on top of 100 mm FLM ball

It adds panorama and downward dog

That's quite an accomplishment. So far, you've made 11 posts in this thread, 20% of the total, without making a single useful contribution. I can't be bothered making the effort to document doing this while you treat the thread as a vehicle for your personal amusement. So much for making and posting photos today on setting up the 4x5 rig. I'm out.

Main takeaways for anyone who's interested in doing something similar: concerns expressed in early posts that this might be unstable or would require substantial sandbagging are unfounded; there are a number of options, some requiring a bit of repurposing of gear, for making a rig like this work; and the key is to keep the camera both as light and as compact as practicable. This appears to be the only discussion on the internet about using these Gitzo components as a lateral arm, which is why I wanted to document this, and the thread may be useful to people who are considering the option.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    that's quite an accomplishment. So far, you've made 11 posts in this thread, 20% of the total, without making a single useful contribution. I can't be bothered making the effort to document doing this while you treat the thread as a vehicle for your personal amusement. So much for making and posting photos today on setting up the 4x5 rig. I'm out.

Main takeaways for anyone who's interested in doing something similar: Concerns expressed in early posts that this might be unstable or would require substantial sandbagging are unfounded; there are a number of options, some requiring a bit of repurposing of gear, for making a rig like this work; and the key is to keep the camera both as light and as compact as practicable. This appears to be the only discussion on the internet about using these gitzo components as a lateral arm, which is why i wanted to document this, and the thread may be useful to people who are considering the option.
    Tin Can

There are a couple of Images I would like to take using a boom/arm that could put the camera over a rapidly moving creek or out over an edge. But then it would be a composition gamble because I can not stand behind the camera.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Interesting thread.

I just use a Majestic HD tripod with a side arm - works fine for overhead shots. Needs a mule to transport it, though. It also makes it a lot easier to use a tripod mounted camera from a power wheelchair.

I have done 4x5 imaging shooting straight down with a front mounted mirror.

Years ago, I got a Spiratone "Circo-Mirrotsach" which screws onto the front of a taking lens like a lens shade but has a 45 degree front surface mirror. Worked pretty well for table top compositions.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

If you're going to make a habit of shooting from odd angles (a virtual pastime of mine here in the heavily-vegetated South) I'd have you take another look at the Uni-loc tripods if your Gitzo-centric solutions don't pan out.

https://www.uniloctripod.com/UNI-LOC...ide%20-WEB.pdf

There are two big advantages that I see:
    1.) the legs are infinitely and independently adjustable, and lock down solid with one turn of the "bent bolt," which allows you to find the optimal footprint for some pretty big cameras, both in terms of composition and for center-of-gravity concerns.

2.) the center column is adjustable in all axes, with two mounting screws on either end, with an additional screw at a 90-degree angle. (Another available option is an articulated center column that allows for additional adjustment of the camera angle.)

FWIW, since this is a popular tripod for macro photography, most of the "setup/shot" photos you'll turn up will naturally show the camera shoved down into the shrubbery--there's no reason of course an overhead shot isn't equally possible. As it happens, I was missing my old System 1700 yesterday as I was trying to shoot up through a hole in the canopy with my 8x10 Sinar--ended up breaking out the knee-pads and taking a Dorf-on-photography pose that I'm still feeling this morning.

This is my overhead portable adjustable solution for up to 8x10. I can also bolt it to the ceiling rafters in my studio, for longer distance shooting. All original Sinar Norma parts

Sinar Norma 8x10 Overhead Reflex Rig by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain