Thread: Greetings from the Maritime Alps

Greetings from the Maritime Alps

An affectionate greeting to the whole forum, even if I have already introduced myself previously, despite this I thought you might like to see my amateur video of what my passion represents for me, "the mountain in large format"
    I am not a professional but a great enthusiast, I have fun with passion, I love nature, the mountains and photography, good vision to those who will see it, if you have any questions please ask them, for what I know I will answer you very willingly.

Best regards
    Max

Re: Greetings from the Maritime Alps

Welcome aboard, sir!

Max, thanks for posting. My Italian is limited to a very few words, these mostly from my love of Classical music and a wide range of wonderful Italian wines (including an unforgettable experience long ago with a well-aged bottle of Thomasi amarone, a '71 I think). I regret that I have not learned the language bequeathed to us by Dante. I finally discovered the translation-to-English subtitles, after watching about a third of your video. They are rather interesting at times, such as referring to the camera as the optical bench. In any case, I enjoyed your guided tour of the Alps and your darkroom, and look forward to seeing more from you. Ciao.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Max, thanks for posting. My Italian is limited to a very few words, these mostly from my love of Classical music and a wide range of wonderful Italian wines (including an unforgettable experience long ago with a well-aged bottle of Thomasi amarone, a '71 I think). I regret that I have not learned the language bequeathed to us by Dante. I finally discovered the translation-to-English subtitles, after watching about a third of your video. They are rather interesting at times, such as referring to the camera as the optical bench. In any case, I enjoyed your guided tour of the Alps and your darkroom, and look forward to seeing more from you. Ciao.
    Hi @Ulophot Thank you, your words make me very happy, I am also happy that you have a good memory of Italy, I will be happy if you visit my works.

I have one question concerning Italy - specifically Italian food.
    What was "Italian Food" before Marco Polo brought Pasta back from his trips to China?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Hi @Willy
    I asked my daughter who is a nutritionist biologist and she tells me that pasta was actually already known in Italy centuries before the birth of Marco Polo, there is evidence of it in Sicily already before the year 1000. The idea that it was Marco Polo to import it from China is a rumor born in the '900 in the United States to increase the "exotic" charm of Italian cuisine. In the medieval period they consumed soups, risottos, stews, plates of offal, sausages, cheeses, large vegetables, poor fish such as anchovies and sardines, mussels, much loved by us, polenta of various flours, in short what we now call "Mediterranean diet" but unfortunately the real one is disappearing in favor of fast food, I hope it will satisfy you...

The Wikipedia entry for Pasta includes information on the history. It says this about the Marco Polo story:

There is a legend of Marco Polo importing pasta from China which originated with the Macaroni Journal, published by an association of food industries with the goal of promoting pasta in the United States. Rustichello da Pisa writes in his Travels that Marco Polo described a food similar to "lagana". Jeffrey Steingarten asserts that Arabs introduced pasta in the Emirate of Sicily in the ninth century, mentioning also that traces of pasta have been found in ancient Greece and that Jane Grigson believed the Marco Polo story to have originated in the 1920s or 1930s in an advertisement for a Canadian spaghetti company.

And of course we mustn't ignore the addition of tomatoes:

Although tomatoes were introduced to Italy in the 16th century and incorporated in Italian cuisine in the 17th century, description of the first Italian tomato sauces dates from the late 18th century: the first written record of pasta with tomato sauce can be found in the 1790 cookbook L'Apicio Moderno [The Modern Apicius] by Roman chef Francesco Leonardi. Before tomato sauce was introduced, pasta was eaten dry with the fingers; the liquid sauce demanded the use of a fork.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Welcome
    Tin Can

Thank you for the information. Appreciate it.

Are your Spaghetti farms more productive than those over the border in Switzerland? ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8scpGwbvxvI

Hope your photo efforts go well.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.