Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

Everything going up I guess!! Gas, groceries, hot air, taxes, whatever....

I buy film like once a year, bulk 35mm 100 footers, and box of 50 of budget 400 speed film. Wow, $50 since last September!!!

I was looking online and I thought, yah, I'll drive to LA and get a box and now zoinks, really? From $199 to $250.
    My math ain't so good (so ain't my English, what can I say, I went to school in Brooklyn) but I think with my rudimentary skills, is that what? 25% increase?

Guess I won't be strapping in the old MD1/MD2 combo on my F2 and blow away through some film. I'm good for now with 1 or 2 shots of 8x10, make it count right?

At least, in my county, gas is now under $6.00. Yah, my neightborhood was $6.50 a month ago.
    --

Re: Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

Re: Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

I paid $3.80 a gallon for regular a few days ago at my home station in N. Florida.
    I purchased bulk rolls of 120 Acros months ago when Adorama had a sale on short dated stock, and got lucky when they sent 20 of the rolls dated 2025.
    Not so good for my favorite 4x5 Tri-X, so for now, cleaning out the freezer with whatever 4x5 film I have.
    It is getting tough everywhere, but living in Florida seems to have been a better place to be after listening to my PA, CA and NJ friends/family talk.

Best to you.

Chip shortage lol.

Gas is $3.899 here. Nice to live in Georgia (or, from above, Florida) for that. Doesn't help with film though and, yeah, it's all way up. If you're looking for 35mm color print (I'm not, but I've read people who are then I checked) it's more like the price is way up IF you can find any.

Drew Wiley

Given the sheer quantity of refineries in this State, it's a bit hard to pin down some of the higher pricing; it sure isn't all added taxes. And what people tend to forget is that a hecka lot of petro refining goes to plastics, airplane fuel, road asphalt, diesel - all kinds of things besides gasoline. At least gas has come down about 75 cents per gal here since the 4th. Raising pricing over holidays is pretty much routine. Glad I made my last road trip when it was still around $4.00 per gallon; and I hope it will be cheaper in the Fall too. But with a real war going on and all kinds of pre-election political games too, I don't think there will be any bargain fuel for awhile. I remember "gas wars" as a kid when it was 19 cents a gallon.

Film? I need another box of 8x10 Portra 100 for making internegs. With processing, that's about $30 per sheet! Fortunately, going forward, I still have a decent stash of 8x10 Ektar in the freezer, bought at around one fourth the going rate. Plenty of B&W 8x10 film too. The nastiest price rise is in plexiglass needed for framing - itself obviously petrochem derived.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Film? I need another box of 8x10 Portra 100 for making internegs. With processing, that's about $30 per sheet! Fortunately, going forward, I still have a decent stash of 8x10 Ektar in the freezer, bought at around one fourth the going rate. Plenty of B&W 8x10 film too. The nastiest price rise is in plexiglass needed for framing - itself obviously petrochem derived.
    $40 a piece!!!!! YIKES

I had no idea plexi glass was expensive. I see, its from oil I'm guessing?

We averaging about 5.80 now, and we have processing plants in Long Beach CA, not far from here. I have no idea how anything works.
    --

Drew Wiley

Nearly all plastics, paints (including water-based acrylic), synthetic fabrics, and modern packaging, our vast road surfaces and majority of rooftops, is petroleum derived; all organic chemicals - pretty much everything that goes into film too, except the silver. Refiners are not charities, or very much concerned about additional layers of hardship under trying times. They're out to make a buck, and every extra penny they can squeeze out of us if they can, is exactly what they'll do. But now that we've gotta keep a sizable chunk of Europe afloat with energy, due to the war, I don't expect much drop in petro-related prices. It affects everything - manufacturing cost, distribution expense, point of purchase markup, just when we're trying to climb back up the ladder after the worst of a pandemic. Yell as loud as you want, but the only sound energy execs hear is the music of "ka-ching" of their own cash register. It can only be modulated on a competitive supply and demand basis, which they know how to game far better than we do. One less road trip for me this year.

Certainly not everything is sinister. At our huge local Chevron refinery complex, for example, a massive amount of R&D money is being spent on alternative energy sources; in their case, especially hydrogen fuel cell technology. I have a friend who works in that division, and it's expanding. Practically everything we touch and do iin modern society s somehow petro chemical related. As as for those who glibly say, "I'll just hand coat my own film" .... onto what, and with what??? - all that is still gonna be 90% petro industry dependent.

And I'll simply be more conservative shooting 8x10 color film, and shoot more 4x5 and 120 roll film instead. I never was a machine-gunner anyway. The other big hit to me personally is the current very high price of museum board. But I meter that out too. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 27-Jul-2022 at 18:25.

$3.599 here today, had been a while since I looked. Doesn't help the cost of film, though.

Just got a new vehicle. Didn't want a van but now I use power wheelchair i had no choice. Got a full size Ford Transit. Gas mileage is running 9 to 10 MPG. Figure 50 - 60 cents per mile.