Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canson Baryta Prestige II vs I?

Canson Baryta Prestige II vs I?

Has anyone tried the new version of this paper and can compare it the the original? (previous version simply called Canson Baryta Prestige which is now discontinued)

I've read the description and watched the puff piece video on Canson's site but what I'm really curious about is whether the surface texture is different than the previous version. I can see that they claim it now has no optical brighteners.

For example, I used to use regular (not Prestige) Canson Infinity Bartyta Photographique, but had to stop when they switched to Baryta Photographique II, because I found the 2nd version had way more of an orange peel texture than the first version, even though I wanted to like the new paper because of the price I found myself switching to this more expensive prestige line. and now they've changed it....

Re: Canson Baryta Prestige II vs I?

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Has anyone tried the new version of this paper and can compare it the the original? (previous version simply called Canson Baryta Prestige which is now discontinued)

I've read the description and watched the puff piece video on Canson's site but what I'm really curious about is whether the surface texture is different than the previous version. I can see that they claim it now has no optical brighteners.

For example, I used to use regular (not Prestige) Canson Infinity Bartyta Photographique, but had to stop when they switched to Baryta Photographique II, because I found the 2nd version had way more of an orange peel texture than the first version, even though I wanted to like the new paper because of the price I found myself switching to this more expensive prestige line. and now they've changed it....
    Can't help you with the Prestige version, but I been using the Baryta Photographique I and 2 - I have a box of the 2 in front of me now, and I see no texture on the surface at all - Im using the satin surface FWIW
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    the Baryta Photographique I and 2 - I have a box of the 2 in front of me now, and I see no texture on the surface at all - Im using the satin surface FWIW
    I wouldn't say 'no texture' but rather something in-line with air-dried gloss FB papers. I recall that the 'II' version happened because of issues with the Photographique gen 1 that caused it to leave the shelves very suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I wouldn't say 'no texture' but rather something in-line with air-dried gloss FB papers. I recall that the 'II' version happened because of issues with the Photographique gen 1 that caused it to leave the shelves very suddenly.
    Yes you are correct -but its not a orange peeled textured surface as per the OP - and it is very similar to the version 1 - theres no appreciable difference between the papers.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Yes you are correct -but its not a orange peeled textured surface as per the OP - and it is very similar to the version 1 - there's no appreciable difference between the papers.
    My experience also

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Yes you are correct -but its not a orange peeled textured surface as per the OP - and it is very similar to the version 1 - theres no appreciable difference between the papers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    My experience also
    I respectfully disagree

have you guys looked at the 2 different versions side by side?
    to me the 1st version was much much smoother. At least for the glossy. (which is really more like semi-gloss)
    I have never used the satin.

But I guess not a single commenter has used the Prestige 1 and 2 - strange I thought for sure someone on here would have
    Last edited by Chester McCheeserton; 27-Jul-2022 at 20:24.

I have used Cason Baryta Prestige for years. Now that the second version is available I have done a little testing and found very minor differences between the two. The paper surfaces are very close to each other. I use custom profiles and had used the profile for the original version of Canson Baryta Prestige on the Baryta Prestige II. There were very minor differences, mostly in the highlights. I am very particular about my process so I will be creating a new profile for the Baryta Prestige II.

-Joshua

Thanks Joshua – good to know.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to weigh in because I loved the smoother unique surface of version I now it looks like everyone else's semi gloss. I hate it compared to version I.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8786.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	234993

Dang – Thanks sruddy - that's the type of comparison I was looking for