Thread: Multiple Posts in a For Sale Thread

Multiple Posts in a For Sale Thread

I just posted two listings in the FS forum, and I was prevented from adding more than one post in a given For Sale thread. Is this intentional?

Re: Multiple Posts in a For Sale Thread

Yes, speaking from experience. That's why some people post several items for sale in one post. Where there is a will there is a way.

Revised guidelines went into effect a month ago:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rum-guidelines

What's wrong with posting multiple items in one thread, not that I have a particular problem with preventing that? The idea of restricting the number of sales per day was to avoid jamming the FS Forum with too many threads. But, is there a problem with having multiple posts in a single thread? It sure doesn't jam the system in any way. What is the problem that's being solved?

By restricting a single post to a single thread, it limits the number of photos that one can use to four. That makes it more difficult to fully describe a given item. Moreover, multiple posts in a thread allows one to organize and add additional text description for whatever item that's being sold. I would often do this, and it's convenient and would enable better organized descriptions. (But, the more serious disadvantage of this change is limiting the number of photos.)

Again I'm wondering, what is the problem that's being solved with this change? I'm interested.

You can include as many items as you want in a single listing. The character limit for a post is set at 15,000 and the post editor, primitive though it is, allows organizing into bullets and/or paragraphs, as you see fit, to clarify the structure of lengthy posts. And, as noted in the linked News post, the number of pictures that can be attached has been increased to 10. If that is not enough, you are also allowed to link to pictures hosted at your own web space or at an image hosting service.

No replies means no bumps and therefore no rules about bumps. You can revise a listing at any time by editing the post. A listing can be reposted after 30 days if some or all of the items are still available.

The new guidelines are much simpler than the prior version. Simpler to explain, simpler to adhere to, simpler to moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    . . . No replies means no bumps and therefore no rules about bumps.
    Yeah, I pretty much knew where this was going. It's been my view that the "problems" solved by limiting within thread "bumps" in the FS forum were more theoretical than real, making the need to monitor them more phantom than necessary.

But, increasing the number of photos to 10 from 4 is workable.