Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ULF Dolly

Re: ULF Dolly

The tripod dolly design that Tracey Storer talks about in post #6 is for still photographers who want to roll their camera around on a smooth floor. Well-made versions of this design aren't cheap. The one that he uses sells for just under US$500.

Some of the posts above refer to dollies used in film production. Filmmakers use dollies to make shots in which the camera moves. Outfitted with wheels appropriate for the surface, the dolly can be used directly on a floor or pavement, but often it's outfitted with longboard wheels* and runs on a track made of steel or PVC pipe. Off the shelf, these dollies are expensive. For that reason, there are a lot of discussions on the internet, and several videos on YouTube, about making your own. Basically, you need a plywood platform that's thick enough for the weight of the tripod and camera, and large enough for the diameter of the extended tripod legs. Add wheels (for still photography, ones that can lock) and a handle to push and pull the dolly around.

This 2010 YouTube video by Tom Antos may give you a few ideas:

* Longboard wheels are larger, have more give and are quieter than standard skateboard wheels.
    Last edited by r.e.; 25-Jul-2022 at 05:48.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

30 years ago I bought a Sachtler 150mm bowl wood tripod and a great dolly with 6' wheels

Huge, perfect

Garage sale $15

Sachtler

No not LA, Illinois

I didn't know what is was, but sure seemed a bargain

I finally found a cheap bowl head adapter to fit

Nasty spikes and dolly is very wide with 6" wheels that lock 2 ways
    Tin Can

I think that Jurgen might also be able to accomplish his objective with a well-made light stand on wheels that can be locked (a roller stand) and that ends in a 3/8" screw to which a tripod head can be attached. I'm thinking in particular about a Low Boy Stand with a large footprint for stability. Assuming that he doesn't need to go really low, this would give him good control over height and excellent mobility. It's also a relatively inexpensive option, especially used.

He'd need a tripod head that can pan and tilt and the usual saddlebags to weigh down the stand's legs.

Below is a Matthews Junior Low Boy. The footprint is 1.5m. Minimum height is 1m. Maximum height is 2m. Weighs 6kg. Maximum load is 25kg. There are many variations on this theme, and a number of companies make stands that are cheaper than what Matthews and Avenger sell. For example, check what Kupo offers, or in the US B&H's house brand Impact. Just do a search for "roller stand". Pretty easy to find stands like this used as well.

This is a "Combo stand", meaning that there's both a Junior female receiver (diameter 1 1/8") and a pop-up 5/8" pin at the top. For this application, I would use the Junior receiver with a male pin that ends in a 3/8" screw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JuniorLowBoy_1024x1024@2x.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	229462

Depends

I have 3 leveling c-stands with Junior pin adapters and Baby

Great for lighting, but not for camera stand

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...4aAqJDEALw_wcB
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Depends

I have 3 leveling c-stands with Junior pin adapters and Baby

Great for lighting, but not for camera stand
    I'm not talking about a C-Stand, which I would not use for this.

I'm talking about a robust stand with three proper legs, and a wide footprint, on wheels.

Show and Tell

Time

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I'm not talking about a C-Stand, which I would not use for this.

I'm talking about a robust stand with three proper legs, and a wide footprint, on wheels.
    Tin Can

Further to post #14, this is a Kupo video on its "High Roller Stand". This stand is similar to the Matthews in post #14, except with three rather than two risers. This means that it has greater maximum height, although this particular stand goes much higher than Jurgen is likely to need. Note what the presenter says at 1:50 about lowering the risers to create a fourth point of contact with the floor/ground:

I used to use a Junior rolling stand as a camera stand back when I had a small studio, but I didn't try it with a big camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I want one but don’t need it

I have wall booms for studio flash

next life

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Further to post #14, this is a Kupo video on its "High Roller Stand". This stand is similar to the Matthews in post #14, except with three rather than two risers. This means that it has greater maximum height, although this particular stand goes much higher than Jurgen is likely to need. Note what the presenter says at 1:50 about lowering the risers to create a fourth point of contact with the floor/ground:

Tin Can