Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ULF Dolly

Re: ULF Dolly

This Kessler Crane part would fit the Junior receiver and has a 3/8" thread at the other end. A version of this with a plate may be available off the shelf. If not, I don't imagine that it would be unreasonably expensive to have one made:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 11.30.10.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	229464

EDIT: What gives me pause about pop-up Baby Pins on Combo stands is that the Baby Pin is offset from centre. However, some stands with the general design shown in post #14 and #18 terminate directly in a 5/8" Baby Pin. I think that these are a possibility, although note that their footprint is smaller than stands that terminate in a Junior receiver, a bit over 1m instead of 1.5m. Female Baby Pins terminating in a 3/8" thread are readily available.
    Last edited by r.e.; 25-Jul-2022 at 09:47.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I have a Kupo part that goes from Junior receiver to a 3/8" camera stud. It wasn't expensive. Let's see: Kupo KS-097 Unscrew the knob, and the adapter fits a junior stand receiver. I really like using the junior stand with full frame digital. I'm a little leery of using it for a heavy camera....but maybe with a little bracing it'd be ok. The advantage over a real studio stand is that it can be broken down quickly, and they are more compact to store.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I have a Kupo part that goes from Junior receiver to a 3/8" camera stud. It wasn't expensive. Let's see: Kupo KS-097 Unscrew the knob, and the adapter fits a junior stand receiver. I really like using the junior stand with full frame digital. I'm a little leery of using it for a heavy camera....but maybe with a little bracing it'd be ok. The advantage over a real studio stand is that it can be broken down quickly, and they are more compact to store.
    Turns out Kupo and Matthews both make Junior receiver to 3/8" thread adapters with a plate. Not only that, B&H at the top of the second screen capture reminds me that I purchased the Matthews in June of last year

Kupo:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 13.34.47.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	229467

Matthews:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 13.38.15.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	229468

With one caveat, I wouldn't have reservations about mounting a 14x17 camera on a steel stand that has a 1.5m (5') diameter footprint. I don't know what the specs are on the Wisner, but the Chamonix 14x17 is a bit under 11kg (24lb). The Chamonix is lighter and less bulky than some of the filmmaking lights that require a Junior receiver, and way under the weight capacity of these stands.

My caveat is that I'd want the Junior pin terminating in a 3/8" thread to be made of steel (the Kupo and Matthews pins are aluminium), and I'd be happier if there was a plate under the tripod head. If this isn't available off the shelf, I imagine that Modern Studio or S.K. Grimes would make it to order, but a local source would probably be cheaper.

It would be interesting to know whether Hugo Zhang has a suggestion. According to the Chamonix website, their next shipment of 14x17 cameras is next month.

In post #6, Tracey Storer says that he's using, and is happy with, the Manfrotto with his 14x17. There's something to be said for a proven solution

You can add castors to something like this: https://kupogrip.com/kupo-short-3-sct-wind-up-stand/

For a big camera, I'd add an adjustable strut from the leg pointed at the subject to the camera platform.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Les

Just saw Proaim dolly, which suppose to support 1000 lbs or 500Kg (as per specs) and for about 1/2 the price of Manfrotto.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Just saw Proaim dolly, which suppose to support 1000 lbs or 500Kg (as per specs) and for about 1/2 the price of Manfrotto.
    Proaim has a few interesting takes on the tripod dolly: https://www.proaim.ca/collections/tripod-dolly

For those who aren't familiar with Proaim, it's a company just outside Vancouver, British Columbia. It makes filmmaking gear and has been expanding rapidly in the last few years. I think that it has production facilities in India, which might explain how it's able to be quite competitive on price.

As I recall dollys are limited by doorway size

Some like to roll the camera through a door

I have set up roller trac and pushed a dolly while a naked lady emoted
    Tin Can

Les

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Proaim has a few interesting takes on the tripod dolly: https://www.proaim.ca/collections/tripod-dolly

For those who aren't familiar with Proaim, it's a company just outside Vancouver, British Columbia. It makes filmmaking gear and has been expanding rapidly in the last few years. I think that it has production facilities in India, which might explain how it's able to be quite competitive on price.
    No true way of knowing, but aren't items made in China and then assembled by Manfrotto in Italy in the same configuration ? Except they don't relent the 'competitive price'. Indeed, global economy is fun to watch.....and I don't wish to say more, since it tends to kill the thread (pol.....) as it involves governments and business.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

How about using the chassis from a dead lawnmower?