Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ULF Dolly

ULF Dolly

Hello,

I am currently shooting with a 14x17 Wisner on a Ries tripod. Quite often I use the same camera for still life images indoors.

I was wondering what dollies are out there that can carry this weight and could work well with the Ries tripod.

I believe this will make it easier for me to move the camera in my studio.

Jurgen

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Re: ULF Dolly

Linhof made a dolly for their heavy duty tripods, I can’t imagine too much load for these.

Movie gear

I have Linhof. Way too rare.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have Linhof. Way too rare.
    Rare yes but very much worth looking for and seeking out. IMO: Linhof cameras are very rarely to be found as bargains (though I did once find and buy a circa 1960?s 5x7 Technika for $195 at a local multi dealer antique store). But Linhof tripod equipment can be had at bargain prices. I've acquired two Linhof Heavy Duty tripods (one with center column and Pro Pan head) over the years for around $200.00 each. I did pass up on a Linhof Dolly that was also FS for well under $200. I no longer did indoor studio photography, so it would have just taken up valuable space in my Condo at the time. I did once use a Linhof De Luxe Geared Dolly with an 8x10 Kardan Color and it was an absolute pleasure to use in my studio at the time. I encourage the OP to actively seek one out.

There are wheeled dollies that you can attach your tripod too. It wouldn't be hard to DIY one. Other options are: getting a studio stand, using a wheeled cart, using a sturdy table.....

There are a couple of problems. First, there's getting the camera into position. Wheels make this easy, which is good for getting the camera into position, but it's bad as it's easy to move the camera out of position. So it's good to be able to lock the stand in place, and there's various ways of doing that. Second, there's changing the height of the camera. With heavy cameras, this can be a real pain. Having a geared column or lift greatly helps. Or you can simply have a set height and adjust your subject to match.

If you have space, a studio stand, like an old Century Centennial Stand, an Agfa 8x10 stand, or similar, is ideal. They're not too big, and they're easy to move around. Plus, they look nice.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 24-Jul-2022 at 17:29.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have used a Bogen (now Manfrotto) dolly for many years for 14x17. The one I use is the Manfrotto 181 Folding Auto Dolly. It will add to your minimum height though.
    I used one of these same dollys for a Wisner 20x24, but the limited leg spacing made the camera too tall, no worries, I cut the legs of the Ries tripod shorter to suit my needs.
    Height changes are a pain as others have pointed out...., but this dolly has rubber straps to captivate the legs, so, it CAN be done.

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/auto...ing-dolly-181/
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 24-Jul-2022 at 17:40. Reason: fixed typo
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

A 4x4 sheet of 3/4 hi-grade plywood and 3 3-4" casters from Home Depot would be perfect for making a dolly from. You can cut it into a triangular shape if you should wish to limit the weight and/or extra bits sticking out.
    Larger size casters will roll easier, and you can drill holes in that same triangular(120* between lines radiating from center) pattern. If you need a larger "spread" then making a larger platform can be done as well.

If you're looking for an off-the-shelf option, there are the older Bogen studio bases that work with most tripods.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    I was wondering what dollies are out there that can carry this weight and could work well with the Ries tripod.
    The footprint of a Ries tripod is variable, but what's the footprint the way that you plan to use it indoors? Put differently, what dolly platform dimensions would you need?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I agree with Mr. Can. Movie gear- high quality ones are inexpensive used and they will usually have some type of strap arrangement to hold the tripod feet secure as well as wheel locks. I have the heavy duty Linhof tripod and dolly, but I find them awkward in a smaller studio space.

I gather that this is the Linhof dolly that some are talking about:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	229461
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic